[comp.unix.aux] Inits

6600vamp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Le Vampire) (03/07/91)

  This is probably old stuff, but I just started with A/UX so
please bear with me. My question is this: can I use any of my
regular Mac inits under A/UX? If so, how?

  Thanks for your help.

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/08/91)

In article <9701@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600vamp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Le Vampire) writes:

>  This is probably old stuff, but I just started with A/UX so
>please bear with me. My question is this: can I use any of my
>regular Mac inits under A/UX? If so, how?

They work, if they are nice fellows, i.e:

a) 32bit clean
b) don't access low memory globals that are not initialized/used
c) don't patch non-implemented traps
d) don't rely on a Manager that is not supported
e) don't access HW directly
f) don't assume too much about the File System
g) and a lot of other compability issues (TN229 is one way to find
   out more about this, a revised version is soon out...)

...a lot of this is true with MacOS Inits as well.

Regards,
Kent

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand@apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo

keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) (03/09/91)

In article <9701@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600vamp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Le Vampire) writes...

>please bear with me. My question is this: can I use any of my
>regular Mac inits under A/UX? If so, how?

(1)  This is often a bad idea;  I have enough trouble getting
     inits not to bomb out on the Mac OS;  see the summary
     on init conflicts that is archived at SUMEX.  (Last time
     I looked it was 40+ pages and growing.
(2)  However, they may work;  you can try by putting them into
     the system folder of the A/UX partition and rebooting A/UX.
     If you have a personal system folder (see A/UX docs) put
     them there and login as yourself again.
(3)  If they crash so badly that you can't launch the Finder,
     you'll be hosed for removing many common inits.  Therefore,
     make sure that you rename them to LEGAL UNIX NAMES:  no
     spaces, no funny characters, no 8th bit set characters.
     A file name like "ScreenblankGizmo(tm)" (where (tm) is the
     Apple extended ASCII character for trademark) will give you
     much grief:  to remove it in case of problems you'll have
     to go in with the console window and remove it, which is
     quite hard if it has an illegal name.  If by chance you do
     get a bad Unix file name (and again, lots of legal, commonly
     used Mac file names are illegal to the Unix shell), you will
     have to follow the "How do I rename a bad filename"
     procedure which is one of the Frequently Asked Questions
     in comp.unix.questions:  see a posting named, approximately,
     "FAQ:  Frequently Asked Questions in comp.unix.questions".