[comp.unix.aux] copying A/UX filesystem from one drive to another...

pdills@ux.acs.umn.edu (Peter Dills) (03/08/91)

I am interested in copying my filesystem from a Rodime 100Mb SCSI drive
to a macIIci's 200Mb internal Cobra. I am not sure if I am doing this
correctly but I tried using "dd" and had ok results. The only problem is
that the 60Mb that I partitioned for / is not all available, which leads
me to believe that I should have used "dump" or sothing like that.

I originaly used "silver-lining" to partition the 200Mb drive with the
six A/UX partitions and then used "dd". Was I just lucking that dd copyed
the image into the right place on the dest. drive? Basically I would just
like to move it from the 100Mb Rodime to the MacIIci's internal 200 and
be able to use the free space left over in the 200Mb drive...

I would greatly appreciate any help. :-)

Send to: pdills@ux.acs.umn.edu

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (03/08/91)

In article <3569@ux.acs.umn.edu> pdills@ux.acs.umn.edu (Peter Dills) writes:
>I am interested in copying my filesystem from a Rodime 100Mb SCSI drive
>to a macIIci's 200Mb internal Cobra. I am not sure if I am doing this
>correctly but I tried using "dd" and had ok results. The only problem is
>that the 60Mb that I partitioned for / is not all available, which leads
>me to believe that I should have used "dump" or sothing like that.

dd isn't what you want. You've probably made the destination partition look
like the source partition, including its size- not a good idea.

Repartition the 200, and then use cpio with the "-p" (pass) option to move
everything over. Check the man page for cpio, but from memory:
1) unmount all other file systems (or they'll get copied too)
2) cd to the top directory of the tree you want copied
3) say "find . -depth -print > /tmp/filelist"
4) make a new file system on the 200 if you haven't already, and mount the
   partition you want on (for example) /a.
5) From the same directory where you did the find, "cpio -pdm </tmp/filelist"
   will move all the files. You can diddle the list by hand if you want.

Check the -m and -l options particularly. The man page recommends using -pdl
but I think -pdm is what you want.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

gbass@zeus.dnet.ge.com (Jerry Bass) (03/11/91)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <3569@ux.acs.umn.edu>, pdills@ux.acs.umn.edu (Peter Dills) writes...
>I am interested in copying my filesystem from a Rodime 100Mb SCSI drive
>to a macIIci's 200Mb internal Cobra. I am not sure if I am doing this
>correctly but I tried using "dd" and had ok results. The only problem is
>that the 60Mb that I partitioned for / is not all available, which leads
>me to believe that I should have used "dump" or sothing like that.

	I'm not a Unix expert but, it was explained to me that when you use
dd to copy the filesystem, the partitions of the target drive become the same
as those on the source drive.  This might explain why the remainder of your
60 MB / partition is not available on the target drive.  You should end up
with same same amount of free space that you had on your source drive /
partition.

	You should, however, be able to use silverlining to re-initialize
the MacOS partition to use the remaining free space on your target drive.

	That's the best help I can offer.

	Here's the dd command I've used:

		dd in=/dev/rdsk/cXd0d31 out=/dev/rdsk/cYd0s31 bs=800K

	where X= SCSI ID of source drive  and Y= SCSI ID of target drive

When I did this, the MacOS partitions didn't copy correctly.  When I rebooted,
the target MacOS partition didn't mount (or I was asked to initialize it) so
I started Silverlining, initalized the MacOS partition, set it to automount.
Then I restarted A/UX and dragged the MacOS source drive files to the target
drive.

					Good luck,

						Jerry

Jerry Bass				Internet:  gbass@zeus.dnet.ge.com
GE Aerospace
Burlington, Mass   USA			Don't quote me...

Killington Valley Eating and Drinking Society - KVEDS

					...and sometimes we ski!