[comp.unix.aux] How do you bring up pathalias? What else will I need?

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (03/11/91)

Panix is growing. 660 more megs of disk space. So what do I do with them?
Maintain a local paths file, of course.

I don't need much handholding, but I don't know where to start. I figure I'll
find a copy of pathalias for FTP pretty easily, but what else do I need to
do? What's the most recent version, so I know the one I've got is current?

Are there any A/UX users who have set pathalias up? If so, any gotchas I
should know about?

I figure that at the same time we do this, we should start using deliver and
Smail (as Richard Todd like to say every so often). It's not that we're
unhappy with sendmail, but we need a new local delivery agent- /bin/mail is
rather nastily broken.

Is it possible and/or useful to use deliver with sendmail instead of smail?

Lastly, we're going to become panix.com pretty soon, and sometime soon I'd
like to start putting a few machines up in a "panix" domain. How do I go about
doing this?

Wow. More questions than I've asked in quite some time... Thanks in advance
for any help. Anything useful will eventually find its way into the A/UX FAQ
I'm working (slowly) on.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (03/11/91)

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>I don't need much handholding, but I don't know where to start. I figure I'll
>find a copy of pathalias for FTP pretty easily, but what else do I need to
>do? What's the most recent version, so I know the one I've got is current?

  I got my copy of pathalias off of osu-cis (aka {tut,giza,cheops,saqqara}.cis.
ohio-state.edu for you ftp'ers).  As I recall, there were two versions of
pathalias lurking on there; get the newer one.  I wish I could say for sure
what version number I had, but alas it doesn't seem to have a patchlevel.h,
just SCCS ids :-(.  The newest file in the bunch has a SCCS line of
static char     *sccsid = "@(#)printit.c        9.4 89/02/07";
if that helps any.  I *think* this is the most recent version, but I don't
know for sure.  It does handle the new <> syntax in pathalias entries, which
is a relatively recent addition to the pathalias syntax...

  As for what else you should need: well, a set of map files to put into
pathalias would be nice :-).  UUNET keeps the most recent set of map files
available for anonymous ftp.  Once you get them, you then have the problem
of keeping them up to date as new map entries are posted to comp.mail.maps.
There are a few packages out there that will automatically unpack map files
from comp.mail.maps for you; the one I use is "uuhosts" (posted in
comp.sources.unix, should be in your neighborhood archive site).   It works
well, once it's installed.

>Are there any A/UX users who have set pathalias up? If so, any gotchas I
>should know about?

  I've got it running.  I don't recall any gotchas, and looking over my copy
of the code I don't see anything special that had to be hacked.  config.h is
straightforward to set up.  I should warn you now, though, that there is
a non-obvious thing you have to do if you want "uuhosts" to run on your
system.  When setting up the directory tree for the unpacking commands to
run in after being chroot'ed, be sure to copy the shared libraries directory
/shlib into this tree; if you don't, the unpacking commands will segfault
mysteriously...

>I figure that at the same time we do this, we should start using deliver and
>Smail (as Richard Todd like to say every so often). It's not that we're
>unhappy with sendmail, but we need a new local delivery agent- /bin/mail is
>rather nastily broken.

Yeah, deliver does beat the stock /bin/mail on A/UX.  I probably should state
that the reason I don't recommend or use sendmail is (1) Sendmail.cf files
still look like line noise to me :-), and (2) a mailer with SMTP handling
capability is really overkill for UUCP sites like mine where smail 2.5 does
the job just fine.  For those who really do need SMTP and UUCP mail, sendmail
isn't too bad a choice, especially the IDA flavor of sendmail.

>Is it possible and/or useful to use deliver with sendmail instead of smail?

I would think it would be possible, seeing as how sendmail.cf tells sendmail
to pass on local mail to the "local mailer", /bin/mail; someone sufficiently
skilled in sendmail config files should be able to describe the proper magic.
Useful?  Well, deliver does allow you to avoid the nasty bug in /bin/mail you
mentioned, and allows all sorts of neat customization features in personal
.deliver files.

>Lastly, we're going to become panix.com pretty soon, and sometime soon I'd
>like to start putting a few machines up in a "panix" domain. How do I go about
>doing this?

Well, setting the domain name for each local mailer should be fairly straight-
forward -- it's just a line in the config.h file on smail, or just a line in
sendmail.cf.  How do you plan on having the machines talk to each other--UUCP
or TCP/IP (SMTP)?  This will affect how the rest of the setup goes...
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.025444.24804@servalan.uucp> rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:

   I *think* this is the most recent version, but I don't
   know for sure.  It does handle the new <> syntax in pathalias entries, which
   is a relatively recent addition to the pathalias syntax...

The one true home of pathalias is
	citi.umich.edu:/pub/honey/pathalias/
Accept no less.

--