[comp.unix.aux] Region Table Overflow

qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) (03/11/91)

Well, I finally broke down and bought a Apple ethernet card and retired the
Kinetics Etherport II with the A/UX1.1 driver and :-) all of my system crashes
have vanished.

However, I betcha I've got something tuned improperly, because I'll
occasionally get a "Region table overflow" on the console log.  Everything
still works to my satisfaction, but I haven't been able to locate a reference
to this message.

Any suggtestions?

--
Henry Melton  qfhca81@memrqa.sps.mot.com
{slow}  qfhca81@memqa   ..!cs.utexas.edu!execu!sequoia!memqa!qfhca81

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (03/13/91)

In article <20647@memqa.uucp> qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) writes:
> [...]  I betcha I've got something tuned improperly, because I'll
>occasionally get a "Region table overflow" on the console log.  Everything
>still works to my satisfaction, but I haven't been able to locate a reference
>to this message.

Try "man kconfig". The region table is one of the tunable parameters.
If I recall correctly, it's NREGION. Try bumping it up by 20 or so.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (03/13/91)

}
}Try "man kconfig". The region table is one of the tunable parameters.
}If I recall correctly, it's NREGION. Try bumping it up by 20 or so.
}

Of course, this does bring up another point... back in the old days of 1.0,
Apple actually provided a listing of all possible kernel errors and panics
and even (*gasp*) double panics along with a skimpy listing of what could
have caused the problem (I'd say about 10-20% had explanations).

Now this listing would be VERY nice (updated, of course :), providing at
least some sort of guidance when one hits these nasty things...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Exploding is a perfectly normal medical phenomenon. In many fields of
 medicine nowadays, a dose of dynamite can do a world of good."

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/14/91)

In article <20647@memqa.uucp> qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) writes:
>However, I betcha I've got something tuned improperly, because I'll
>occasionally get a "Region table overflow" on the console log.  Everything
>still works to my satisfaction, but I haven't been able to locate a reference
>to this message.

Increase the memory regions with kconfig (increase the NREGION variable).
Try not to increase this too much immediately, increase until the problem
vanishes. Compiling of large programs usually leads to region table overflows.

Kent Sandvik