[comp.unix.aux] That NFS bug again

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (03/21/91)

Just to let you all know that the infamous "blocks of zeros in a.out files
written over NFS" problem is now striking with monotonous regularity on
contemporary systems. Specifically:

Client: A/UX 2.0 running of Mac IIcx with 4 or 8 Meg of memory,
        Apple Ethernet cards

Server: Sun SPARCStation SLC with Wren7 disks, SunOS 4.1

If the person from Athena who said "Yes, we sent Apple our fixes for this ages
ago" would care to send those fixes to me (I have a current NFS source
licence) then I'll try to produce an installable module which patches those
fixes in.

steveg@ni.umd.edu (Steve Green) (03/23/91)

In article <3008@redstar.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:

>Just to let you all know that the infamous "blocks of zeros in a.out files
>written over NFS" problem is now striking with monotonous regularity on
>contemporary systems. Specifically:
>
>Client: A/UX 2.0 running of Mac IIcx with 4 or 8 Meg of memory,
>        Apple Ethernet cards
>
>Server: Sun SPARCStation SLC with Wren7 disks, SunOS 4.1

I was not going to say anything but as long as someone else brought it up.. :)

Client: 2.0.1 running on MacII 020 w/PMMU, 8 megs, Apple/3Com card.

To the Apple folks on the net, I have just a few simple questions..
	1.  Do you admit that a problem exists?
		1.1  Do you wanna see it in action?
	2.  Do you ever plan to fix it?
		2.1  Why not?
		2.2  When?

I am sorry to have developed an attitude about this but I just cant understand
why you (Apple) just seem to be ignoring this.  It makes me even madder to
read that 2.0.1 has "Mouse control settings now working in Control Panel" and
"Time and Date settings via Control Panel (as root)".  What kind of priorities
are being established there??  Stop adding new features and improving the ksh
and start fixing things that are LONG overdue to be fixed.

Once again, I apologize for my tone but I am at a complete loss..

Silica gel -- Do not eat.				steveg@ni.umd.edu