[comp.unix.aux] MacsBug under A/UX 2.0

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/18/91)

In article <119@mishima.mishima.mn.org> spencerc@mishima.MN.ORG (Spencer Crum) writes:

>I am running A/UX 2.0 on a Mac IIci and can't seem to get MacsBug v6.2b2 to
>come up, even though the docs say it works under A/UX.  All I manage to get
>is a system error when it tries to load.
>
>Which System Folder under A/UX does it go into (can I just put it in my local
>one)?  I've tried putting in it '/mac/sys/System Folder' to no avail.  I've
>tried in both 32- and 24-bit modes.

Hi, I did a quick test, dropped MacsBug 6.2b3 (b2 is also OK) in the
System Folder under /mac/sys (the one with the Mac picture inside), and
logged in again. It worked OK.

I assume that you try to drop to MacsBug with the NMI button, or programmer's
key. Well, the NMI drops you down to kernel never-never land because it
signals the CPU directly. The trick under A/UX for dropping down to MacsBug
is to press command-control-E (command-control-I) kills the current MultiFinder
process, so if you get jammed, that's the trick).

MacsBug don't understand COFF formats well, so usually MacsBug is used
for tracing Macintosh binaries running inside the MultiFinder process.
However, things are happening...

>Also, could someone summarize the bugs that were fixed in A/UX 2.0.1?

William, could you please post that file that I sent out earlier for
the A/UX Q&A about A/UX 2.0.1? I typed that stuff with vi, and never
saved a copy for own use...

Regards,
Kent

--
Disclaimer: Private activity on the Net, in no way connected to any company.
Zippy++ says: END, END; or END. is sure clearer than "}".

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (03/19/91)

In article <12567@goofy.Apple.COM> ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:

   MacsBug don't understand COFF formats well, so usually MacsBug is used
   for tracing Macintosh binaries running inside the MultiFinder process.
   However, things are happening...

Yeah ! Presently, there's _no_ way of debugging gdb compiled uinter0-
using coff binaries. (gdb cores at the large amount of typedefs...)

I'm holding my breath :-)

   Kent

						h+@nada.kth.se
						Jon W{tte
--
"The IM-IV file manager chapter documents zillions of calls, all of which
seem to do almost the same thing and none of which seem to do what I want

justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) (03/23/91)

In article <12567@goofy.Apple.COM> ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
>In article <119@mishima.mishima.mn.org> spencerc@mishima.MN.ORG (Spencer Crum) writes:
>I assume that you try to drop to MacsBug with the NMI button, or programmer's
>key. Well, the NMI drops you down to kernel never-never land because it
>signals the CPU directly. The trick under A/UX for dropping down to MacsBug
>is to press command-control-E (command-control-I) kills the current MultiFinder
>process, so if you get jammed, that's the trick).

	To clarify this: cmd-ctrl-e "reboots" the current MultiFinder
session (gets you back to the Login screen).  cmd-ctlr-i drops you
into MacsBug if you have it installed in the System Folder you are
executing from.  Without MacsBug installed, cmd-ctrl-i has a similar
effect to cmd-ctrl-e.

>Regards,
>Kent

Cheers,

Justin

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   *
A/UX Engineering                        |
Apple Computer, Inc.                    |  Try visualizing whirled peas.
10300 Bubb Rd,                          |
Cupertino, CA 95014                     *