[comp.unix.aux] That NFS bug again - give them time

cs@Eng.Sun.COM (Carl Smith) (03/23/91)

> To the Apple folks on the net, I have just a few simple questions..
> 	1.  Do you admit that a problem exists?
> 		1.1  Do you wanna see it in action?
> 	2.  Do you ever plan to fix it?
> 		2.1  Why not?
> 		2.2  When?
>
> I am sorry to have developed an attitude about this but I just cant understand
> why you (Apple) just seem to be ignoring this.  It makes me even madder to
> read that 2.0.1 has "Mouse control settings now working in Control Panel" and
> "Time and Date settings via Control Panel (as root)".  What kind of priorities
> are being established there??  Stop adding new features and improving the ksh
> and start fixing things that are LONG overdue to be fixed.

	I've personally seen the Apple folks at Connectathon (which is taking
place as I write this) working very hard on fixing this particular problem.
They have a simple test to reproduce it (which, by the way, causes failures
on other NFS ports as well).  This may be a reference port bug and not unique
to A/UX.  Please be patient with them.  They could simply start pointing the
finger at others, but they aren't doing that.  This attitude is worthy of our
respect.

			Carl

justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) (03/23/91)

In article <10338@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> cs@Eng.Sun.COM writes:

>> To the Apple folks on the net, I have just a few simple questions..
>	I've personally seen the Apple folks at Connectathon (which is taking
>place as I write this) working very hard on fixing this particular problem.
>They have a simple test to reproduce it (which, by the way, causes failures
>on other NFS ports as well).  This may be a reference port bug and not unique
>to A/UX.  Please be patient with them.  They could simply start pointing the
>finger at others, but they aren't doing that.  This attitude is worthy of our
>respect.
>
>			Carl

	We appreciate the amount of frustration that this issue has
caused, and your collective forbearance while we try to determine the
real cause of the symptoms and a potential fix for it as well.

	I hope you'll appreciate the fact that it isn't easy to
comment on a problem that is intermittant and very difficult to
reproduce.  As Carl indicates, we are hard at work on this problem; we
do seem to have a program that can sometimes reproduce it, and it does
seem to be more widely spread than just A/UX.  We will have more to
say later.  Stay tuned.

	In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and support.  :-}.

Regards,

Justin

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   *
A/UX Engineering                        |
Apple Computer, Inc.                    |  Try visualizing whirled peas.
10300 Bubb Rd,                          |
Cupertino, CA 95014                     *