[comp.unix.aux] shutdown from the console emulator

kepowers@mbunix.mitre.org (Powers) (03/13/91)

I have been using the console emulator login type and using shutdown -y
to bring my A/UX machine to single user.  I get the following error:

shutdown:  callrpc RPC: port mapper failure

The system echoes this twice and then proceeds to shut down to single
user.  Has anyone seen this before?  I am running A/UX 2.0 on a Mac
IIci.  I don't have an ethernet interface.  Thanks in advance.

--
Kelly-Erin Powers		The MITRE Corporation
Unix Systems Group		Burlington Road

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (03/21/91)

In <1991Mar12.200544.21227@linus.mitre.org> kepowers@mbunix.mitre.org (Powers)
writes:

>I have been using the console emulator login type and using shutdown -y
>to bring my A/UX machine to single user.  I get the following error:

>shutdown:  callrpc RPC: port mapper failure

>The system echoes this twice and then proceeds to shut down to single
>user. I am running A/UX 2.0 on a MacIIci.

The reason you see this is tied up with the following:

>I don't have an ethernet interface.

So you didn't install the bnet code into the kernel, so there is no socket
stuff, so all of the SunRPC services fail immediately.

Shutdown is trying to warn everyone on your machine that there is going to be
a shutdown, and using the SunRPC-based "rwall" program to do it. This is
essentially harmless, though you might well find it useful to install the bnet
software anyway (even if you haven't got an ethernet card).

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (03/23/91)

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:

>In <1991Mar12.200544.21227@linus.mitre.org> kepowers@mbunix.mitre.org (Powers)
>writes:

>>shutdown:  callrpc RPC: port mapper failure

>The reason you see this is tied up with the following:

>>I don't have an ethernet interface.

>So you didn't install the bnet code into the kernel, so there is no socket
>stuff, so all of the SunRPC services fail immediately.

  Funny, but I don't have an ethernet interface, and I *did* install the bnet
code.  (Unless I'm very much mistaken, X11R4 won't run at all unless you have
the bnet code installed).  I still see the message whenever I shutdown.
As you say, the message is essentially harmless, but just installing the
bnet drivers won't cure it...
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar23.081145.3797@servalan.uucp> rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:

>  Funny, but I don't have an ethernet interface, and I *did* install the bnet
>code.  (Unless I'm very much mistaken, X11R4 won't run at all unless you have
>the bnet code installed).  I still see the message whenever I shutdown.
>As you say, the message is essentially harmless, but just installing the
>bnet drivers won't cure it...

The bnet module is needed for AppleTalk/Localtalk support (mbuf support
if I don't remember wrong), so it's mandatory to have it in the kernel.
Check if you have /etc/portmap on in the /etc/inittab file, for instance.

Regards,
Kent Sandvik, DTS Skonk

--
Disclaimer: *Private* activity on the Net, in no way connected to any company.
Recommended SF books: Cormier FADE, Flynn IN THE COUNTRY OF THE BLIND, Geary