[comp.unix.aux] 2.0.1 update & sendmail.fc bug?

gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (03/23/91)

The 2.0.1 update went smoothly for me -- Thanks Apple.  One minor
problem has shown up with sendmail, mailq and newaliases.  Whenever
I try to use those since the update, I get this error message:
  Cannot read frozen config file: Not a typewriter

Looking thru the 2.0.1 files, sendmail was updated.  The sendmail man
says little about what a frozen config file is, just that it is there.
On my system, the files look like this:
-rwsr-xr-x   3 root     bin       135140 Jan 13 13:47 /usr/lib/sendmail*
-rw-r-----   1 root     bin        12044 Jan 12 19:34 /usr/lib/sendmail.cf
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin            0 Apr 10  1990 /usr/lib/sendmail.fc

Where the .fc is the frozen config file.  Only the sendmail file was updated
with 2.0.1.  Mail seems to be sent okay.  Any way for me to stop the
error message?

Thanks, Don

--
Don Gilbert                                     gilbert@bio.indiana.edu

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, net.god {retired}) (03/23/91)

gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:

>Looking thru the 2.0.1 files, sendmail was updated.  The sendmail man
>says little about what a frozen config file is, just that it is there.
>On my system, the files look like this:

Whenever you change the sendmail binary, you have to refreeze your
sendmail.fc. The command "sendmail -bz" will do it for you.

--
Chuq Von Rospach  >=<  chuq@apple.com  >=<  GEnie: CHUQ  >=<  AppleLink: CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended reading: BONE DANCE by Emma Bull; BLIND JUSTICE by S.N. Lewitt;
SCIENCE FICTION IN THE REAL WORLD by Norman Spinrad

pst@Stanford.EDU (Paul Traina) (03/23/91)

type, as root:
	"/usr/lib/sendmail -bz"

which will generate a "new" frozen config file reflecting the state of
your .cf file.

ron@afsg.apple.com (Ron Flax) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar22.195819.27863@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
>The 2.0.1 update went smoothly for me -- Thanks Apple.  One minor
>problem has shown up with sendmail, mailq and newaliases.  Whenever
>I try to use those since the update, I get this error message:
>  Cannot read frozen config file: Not a typewriter

You need to make any site specific changes to sendmail.cf and then run
/usr/lib/sendmail -bz to re-freeze (create a new sendmail.fc) the fc
file.  You also will have to kill the current running sendmail daemon
and restart it.  Or simply reboot if that's easier for you.

--
Ron Flax
ron@afsg.apple.com

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar22.195819.27863@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
>The 2.0.1 update went smoothly for me -- Thanks Apple.  One minor
>problem has shown up with sendmail, mailq and newaliases.  Whenever
>I try to use those since the update, I get this error message:
>  Cannot read frozen config file: Not a typewriter
>
>Looking thru the 2.0.1 files, sendmail was updated.  The sendmail man
>says little about what a frozen config file is, just that it is there.
>On my system, the files look like this:
>-rwsr-xr-x   3 root     bin       135140 Jan 13 13:47 /usr/lib/sendmail*
>-rw-r-----   1 root     bin        12044 Jan 12 19:34 /usr/lib/sendmail.cf
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin            0 Apr 10  1990 /usr/lib/sendmail.fc
>
>Where the .fc is the frozen config file.  Only the sendmail file was updated
>with 2.0.1.  Mail seems to be sent okay.  Any way for me to stop the
>error message?

Did you create your sendmail.cf file to a frozen file with sendmail -bz?

Regards,
Kent Sandvik, MacDTS

--
Disclaimer: *Private* activity on the Net, in no way connected to any company.
Recommended SF books: Cormier FADE, Flynn IN THE COUNTRY OF THE BLIND, Geary