[comp.unix.aux] transferring files across systems

tdtyl@hubcap.clemson.edu (theodore d taylor) (03/22/91)

I don't have a modem on my Mac and have to transfer all of my
files through my PC type machines.  The procedure that I have
tried is:

    FTP a file from a foreign computer such as apple.com to our
    local Ultrix machine

    Download this file using Kermit (in binary mode) to my PC.

    Bring the file onto the Mac OS disc using the Apple File
    Exchange in default mode.  I have done this while using the
    Mac OS not A/UX.

    Boot up A/UX and drag the file from the Mac OS disk over into
    the A/UX system.

My system is configured as follows:
    A/UX on a Mac 80 Meg external hard drive (SCSI 5)
    Mac IIcx with 8 Meg RAM and 40 Meg internal hard drive (not
    A/UX)
    System:             A/UX 2.00
    Printer:            ImageWriter II hooked to modem port
    Network connections: None

Questions:

    Is there any way that I can mount an MS DOS formatted
    Diskette?

    Does the procedure described above change the file in any
    way?
                          T. D. Taylor
                          Department of Ceramic Engineering
                          Clemson University
                          Clemson, SC 29634-0907

ron@afsg.apple.com (Ron Flax) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar21.165339.18437@hubcap.clemson.edu> tdtyl@hubcap.clemson.edu (theodore d taylor) writes:

>    Is there any way that I can mount an MS DOS formatted
>    Diskette?

Yes!

You can use either Dos Mounter from Dayna, or AccessPC from Insignia
Solutions.. both should be available from Egg Head.  And both allow you
to mount an MS-DOS diskette (format too) on the Mac desktop under MacOS
or A/UX.

--
Ron Flax
ron@afsg.apple.com

lantz@Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) (03/24/91)

tdtyl@hubcap.clemson.edu (theodore d taylor) writes:

[explanation of ultrix-dos-mac deleted]

You know, I presume, that if your Mac is on the ethernet (or on
localtalk bridged to the ethernet and you're running NCSA telnet
under Mac OS) that you can ftp directly to/from your Mac.

Also, you can kermit directly to/from your mac, if you have a
serial connection to your ultrix box.

Finally, it is often possible to exchange Unix tar/cpio floppies with
A/UX, if you have a SuperDrive [which presumably you do, otherwise
you wouldn't be able to read your DOS disks with AFE.]

>Questions:
>
>    Is there any way that I can mount an MS DOS formatted
>    Diskette?

Yes, Access PC and DOS Mounter both allow you to do this, for example.

>    Does the procedure described above change the file in any
>    way?

No, unless your Macintosh file is of type TEXT, in which case it will
be "converted" to Unix text when you drag it across to the Unix
filesystem.

>                          T. D. Taylor

Bob