[comp.unix.aux] /bin/mail,rmail

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (03/23/91)

Two days ago my A/UX 2.0 systems locked up and had to be reset.  The
fs check failed and told me to run fsck manually, which I did.  fsck
had problems with /bin/mail and /bin/rmail and wanted to delete them,
so I did.  After fsck finished I was able to boot A/UX.  I mounted
the CD-ROM distribution on /mnt and copied /mnt/bin/*mail to /bin and
then did a chmod/chgrp/chown so the copies in /bin matched the copies
in /mnt/bin.  I then called my mail feed and a file was sent to me,
but when I checked the mail I was told there was none, even though
the appropriate file was in /usr/mail.  I took a look at the file
and found it was an extract of some source written in 68K assembler,
so I figured something was wrong.  I rechecked /mnt/bin and noticed
there were 2 links to mail and rmail (from the count given by ls),
but I don't know where the links are.  What links are missing?

Thanks.
--
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.171643.443@skbat.csc.ti.com> dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
>Two days ago my A/UX 2.0 systems locked up and had to be reset.  The
>fs check failed and told me to run fsck manually, which I did.  fsck
>had problems with /bin/mail and /bin/rmail and wanted to delete them,
>so I did.  After fsck finished I was able to boot A/UX.  I mounted
>the CD-ROM distribution on /mnt and copied /mnt/bin/*mail to /bin and
>then did a chmod/chgrp/chown so the copies in /bin matched the copies
>in /mnt/bin.  I then called my mail feed and a file was sent to me,
>but when I checked the mail I was told there was none, even though
>the appropriate file was in /usr/mail.  I took a look at the file
>and found it was an extract of some source written in 68K assembler,
>so I figured something was wrong.  I rechecked /mnt/bin and noticed
>there were 2 links to mail and rmail (from the count given by ls),
>but I don't know where the links are.  What links are missing?

simstim.root # ls -li mail rmail
   704 -rwxr-sr-x   2 bin      mail       67148 Jan 13 03:52 mail
   704 -rwxr-sr-x   2 bin      mail       67148 Jan 13 03:52 rmail

rmail is usually linked to mail. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's so
long since I last ported usenet or uucp src code, but rmail is usually called
as part of the uucp transmission phase between links (uux as the last
job after the uucp files are sent over, rmail is only able to *send* mail).

Regards,
Kent Sandvik

--
Disclaimer: *Private* activity on the Net, in no way connected to any company.
Recommended SF books: Cormier FADE, Flynn IN THE COUNTRY OF THE BLIND, Geary

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (03/24/91)

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
>Two days ago my A/UX 2.0 systems locked up and had to be reset.  The
>fs check failed and told me to run fsck manually, which I did.  fsck
>had problems with /bin/mail and /bin/rmail and wanted to delete them,
>so I did.  After fsck finished I was able to boot A/UX.  I mounted
>the CD-ROM distribution on /mnt and copied /mnt/bin/*mail to /bin and
>then did a chmod/chgrp/chown so the copies in /bin matched the copies
>in /mnt/bin.  I then called my mail feed and a file was sent to me,
>but when I checked the mail I was told there was none, even though
>the appropriate file was in /usr/mail.  I took a look at the file
>and found it was an extract of some source written in 68K assembler,
>so I figured something was wrong.  I rechecked /mnt/bin and noticed
>there were 2 links to mail and rmail (from the count given by ls),
>but I don't know where the links are.  What links are missing?

Try this:
rm /bin/rmail ; ln /bin/mail /bin/rmail

Surprised? :-)

To be honest, I don't see how this could cause your problem, but I'm by
no means certain. One thing I'd point out- after much bitter experience
this week- when a crash messes up your file system to the point where it's
eating binaries that have never been modified, there's a good chance your
file system is on the verge of a gradual slide into a black hole. If you
can, I'd carefully back up anything important and reinstall the partition.
If you don't want to, try fscking it again. Fsck likes to clean up a partition
so that you think it's ok, but if the damage is severe, it will fool you-
new files will be screwy every time you run fsck, and eventually fsck will
eat your whole disk.

If you come out clean this time, maybe you're OK. But if fsck sees new bad
files, you're hosed. Back up what you can, while you can...

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis