[comp.unix.aux] lost all network except ethertalk phase 2

gilbertd@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (don gilbert) (03/24/91)

Sometime today my a/ux mac lost ability to talk with the rest of
our campus and internet network.  Ethernet hardware and connection
is fine (works fine from MacOS); telnet is fine to the local loop;
AND telnet/ping/ftp is fine to another mac that I've switched to
ethertalk phase 2.  Nothing else.   I don't know whether the problem
is with a/ux (I recently installed the 2.0.1 update) or with the local
campus network milleau.  All of our campus net is now on Appletalk phase
1, with cisco routers(?) which haven't been upgraded to phase 2
compatibility yet.  Should this phase 1/2 jazz affect whether my a/ux
mac can use tcp/ip to other computers?

Any suggestions are welcome.
-- Don

--
Don.Gilbert@Iubio.Bio.Indiana.Edu
biocomputing office, indiana univ., bloomington, in 47405, usa

justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar24.011023.25611@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> gilbertd@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (don gilbert) writes:
>Sometime today my a/ux mac lost ability to talk with the rest of
>our campus and internet network.
	It's possible that your A/UX box has lost its routes; to see what
	routes it knows about, use "netstat -r".  You may have to kill and
	restart the router (/etc/in.routed).

>  Ethernet hardware and connection
>is fine (works fine from MacOS); telnet is fine to the local loop;
>AND telnet/ping/ftp is fine to another mac that I've switched to
>ethertalk phase 2.  Nothing else.   I don't know whether the problem
>is with a/ux (I recently installed the 2.0.1 update) or with the local
>campus network milleau.  All of our campus net is now on Appletalk phase
>1, with cisco routers(?) which haven't been upgraded to phase 2
>compatibility yet.  Should this phase 1/2 jazz affect whether my a/ux
>mac can use tcp/ip to other computers?
	A/UX's IP interactions are independent of any AppleTalk shenanigans,
	so I doubt that the phase 2 upgrade is directly repsonsible.

>-- Don

Regards,

Justin

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   *
A/UX Engineering                        |
Apple Computer, Inc.                    |  Try visualizing whirled peas.
10300 Bubb Rd,                          |
Cupertino, CA 95014                     *