[comp.unix.aux] Previewer?

lavinus@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (03/25/91)

Hello out there!

Please excuse me if this is a FAQ, but does anyone know of a previewer
for troff or TEX or any commonly-used document processing system, that runs
under A/UX?

Thanks...

Joe
                                                   _  _  __
  Joseph W. Lavinus (lavinus@csgrad.cs.vt.edu)     | / \ |_
  Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia            __| \_/ |_

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (03/26/91)

lavinus@csgrad.cs.vt.edu writes:
>Please excuse me if this is a FAQ, but does anyone know of a previewer
>for troff or TEX or any commonly-used document processing system, that runs
>under A/UX?

Yes.

First of all, are you running X Window?  If so, this widens your options
considerably.  There are a few X Window previewers for (di)troff floating out
there, but I don't have much experience with them--as I recall, I tried
to get xditview (out of the MIT X11 distribution) to work, but it never did
work right.  I mostly use TeX, and I can vouch for the fact that the "xdvi"
previewer works just fine (well, almost; it was written for a Sun, so the
default size and spacing for the buttons in the preview window puts half the
buttons off the bottom of the screen; this isn't too hard to hack around,
or just ignore if you don't mind using the keyboard commands instead).
I suspect SeeTeX and the other X Window previewers would work equally well.
Most of this X Window stuff should be available for anon ftp from
export.lcs.mit.edu.

If you're just using the MacOS environment under A/UX, you don't have as
many options.  I don't know of any ditroff previewers for MacOS.  The
OzTeX package for MacOS works under A/UX (at least, v1.2 did; I haven't
tried 1.3) and not only previews TeX DVI files, but also is a TeX
program in and of itself--you can just feed your TeX input into OzTeX
and have it make the DVI file for you.

  You might also want to track down "ditdvi", a program that translates
ditroff output into TeX DVI files, thus allowing your TeX DVI previewers
and device drivers to handle troff output.  Alas, it's somewhat incomplete
and does not handle "pic" or "eqn"-generated troff output well, and that's
some of the stuff that's complicated enough to demand previewing :-(.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp