[comp.unix.aux] 2.0.1 upgrade: How much working disk space to do it?

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) (03/25/91)

I'd like to ftp the 2.0.1 upgrade for my system, but the files
are big and I'm not sure I can do it in the space available.

My system consists of a iici with a 105 meg internal disk having about
10 megs of free space in /usr/local and a syquest drive which now
holds all my mac stuff.  The syquest also has about 10 megs of
free space.  Obviously I could temporarily dismount the mac disk,
but I'd rather not.  I also have about 2 megs free in /.

I have to uuencode the files to get them over my downlink, so I need
space to decode as well as install them.

Any and all advice appreciated

bob

ps.  is the file 2.0.1_README plain text, or partly binary?  Some of
it seems unprintable.

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (03/28/91)

In <27ED0806.6484@orion.oac.uci.edu> rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert
Prohaska) writes:

>I'd like to ftp the 2.0.1 upgrade for my system, but the files
>are big and I'm not sure I can do it in the space available.

>I have to uuencode the files to get them over my downlink, so I need
>space to decode as well as install them.

>Any and all advice appreciated

I'd personally recommend getting the floppy upgrade - it is all external
storage (only 14 floppies, which is irritationg but much less than a whole
afternoon's work) and takes up next to no space doing the upgrade. Plus you
get MacX 1.1 which you don't from the cpio archive.

>ps.  is the file 2.0.1_README plain text, or partly binary?  Some of
>it seems unprintable.

Guess what - it is an AppleSingle format TeachText document. TextEditor can
read these (I discover) and anyway it seems to be word-for-word identical to
the file README in that same directory.