[comp.unix.aux] Insufficient Space

mann@intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) (03/27/91)

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:

>weier@twolf4.CE.YALE.EDU (Richard Weier) writes:
>
>>I attempted to unpack a file using Compactor Pro 1.3 under A/UX.  The
>>unpacked file would be about 10 Meg.  There was plenty of space on the disk
>>but I got a message saying "insufficient space on this volume".
>
>   Hmm.  I can think of two possibilities.  The first is that you've still
>got the "BSD free space reserve" set on your filesystems.  On BSD-style
Possibility #2:
>happening is that Compacter Pro is helpfully checking the free space on
>the MacOS partition "/" for you, which happens to be equivalent to checking
>the free space on the root Unix partition.  So it was objecting that there
>wasn't 10M free on the root Unix partition, even though there was free
>space where you were planning to unpack the files.
>   So what can you do about this?  Not a lot, alas :-(.  The method I use
>is to set aside a section of one hard disk as a genuine MacOS partition for
>use in such situations (when you need a good bit of temp. space for
>un-Compacting, etc.)

I have had the same problem, and it can't be either one that Richard T.
describes. I was trying to install Quark using it's installer program.
Even though I've got, oh about 400meg free, it says insufficient space.
Also, I currently have A/UX set up with everything on one unix filesystem,
root, so there goes #2... any more ideas?

|  Jeff Mann  Inter/Access Artists' Computer Centre, Toronto  [416] 535-8601 |
|  intacc!mann@cs.toronto.edu   Matrix Artists' BBS: [416] 535-7598 2400 8N1 |
| ...uunet!mnetor!intacc!mann  mann@intacc.uucp   [416] 535-1443 Telebit 8N1 |

lars@myab.se (Lars Pensj|) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar27.011854.4772@intacc.uucp> mann@intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) writes:
>I was trying to install Quark using it's installer program.
>Even though I've got, oh about 400meg free, it says insufficient space.
>Also, I currently have A/UX set up with everything on one unix filesystem,

I have a similar case. When using Microsoft Words, I can't save to file,
becaue it will complain "not enough space". I have A/UX 2.0.

The interesting thing is that Words tells you how many Kbytes there are,
but this number is not a number, but a strange choice of character. Sometimes
it says "` Kbytes free" etc.

I do have 40 Mbytes free now. I have been able to save documents, but not
any longer. When I was able, it did report a figure that was lower than the
reality. I noticed that this figure was changed with the same amount as the
real disk free figure changed. But, when it passed the 0, and went below,
these strange characters started to appear instead.

It is just a hunch, but I have a feeling that the disk free space somewhere is
sqeezed into a signed 16 bit number, losing high order bits, even becoming
negative.

--
Lars Pensj|
lars@cd.chalmers.se