[comp.unix.aux] A/UX 2.0 with 32MO of RAM ?

bordier@imag.fr (Jerome Bordier) (03/23/91)

We have a Mac II fx here with 32 Mega Bytes of RAM installed.

A/UX 2.0 is installed on a 80 Mega Bytes Disk.

The Mac II fx crashes when launching A/UX.

(It works on another Mac II fx with 8 Mega bytes of RAM).

Anybody has an idea ?

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/24/91)

In article <19595@imag.imag.fr> bordier@imag.fr (Jerome Bordier) writes:
>We have a Mac II fx here with 32 Mega Bytes of RAM installed.
>
>A/UX 2.0 is installed on a 80 Mega Bytes Disk.
>
>The Mac II fx crashes when launching A/UX.
>
>(It works on another Mac II fx with 8 Mega bytes of RAM).
>
>Anybody has an idea ?

Is it one of those National Semiconductor goody-goody large RAM NuBus
cards (I hope I had one...)? Anyway they require a special driver
for working under A/UX, and if you have A/UX 1.1 drivers installed
for A/UX 2.0(.1), it won't work, you need the 2.0 drivers.

Just speculations. Regards, Kent Sandvik

--
Disclaimer: *Private* activity on the Net, in no way connected to any company.
Recommended SF books: Cormier FADE, Flynn IN THE COUNTRY OF THE BLIND, Geary

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (03/29/91)

In article <19595@imag.imag.fr> bordier@imag.fr (Jerome Bordier) writes:
>We have a Mac II fx here with 32 Mega Bytes of RAM installed.
>A/UX 2.0 is installed on a 80 Mega Bytes Disk.
>The Mac II fx crashes when launching A/UX.
>(It works on another Mac II fx with 8 Mega bytes of RAM).
>Anybody has an idea ?

No, but it's either bad hardware or bad software. :-)  (or bad karma...)

Seriously- if it's bad software, a re-install will fix it. Then again, if
the disk is bad, an fsck on the root partition from sash should either fix
it, or at least let you know where the problem lies.

There's an easy way to test for bad RAM. one of the kconfig parameters
tells A/UX how much physical memory to use. Try setting it to 8MB or so
and see if you can boot that way. (From sash, type 'kconfig -av' to get
an annotated listing of kconfig params.)

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis