[comp.unix.aux] Radius Rocket accelerator: what chance A/UX?

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (03/22/91)

``The [25MHz 68040-based Radius] Rocket will ship on 25th March.
Prices are to be announced shortly.''  So says MacUser UK of 22nd
March.  As my IIx running A/UX is looking slow these days, I'm
interested in something that will take it ``to twice the speed of The
IIfx''.  But does the Rocket support A/UX?  And will it do anything for
disk throughput and screen refresh speed -- as an upgrade to a IIfx
would?

Informed answers sought.  Thanks in advance.
--
Dominic Dunlop

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar22.144130.1030@tsa.co.uk> I wrote:

> ``The [25MHz 68040-based Radius] Rocket will ship on 25th March.
> Prices are to be announced shortly.''  So says MacUser UK of 22nd
> March.
> But does the Rocket support A/UX?

The story so far is that my dealer tells me that Radius says it supports
A/UX 2.0, but not A/UX 2.0.1.  And that it costs pounds 2,499.  This is
about pounds 200 more than it would cost to upgrade my 8 megabyte IIx to
an 8 megabyte IIfx (at Apple's memory prices).

I'll keep you posted on more news as it comes in.  Let me know if you
hear anything.
--
Dominic Dunlop

pierce@radius.com (Pierce T. Wetter III) (03/30/91)

>> ``The [25MHz 68040-based Radius] Rocket will ship on 25th March.
>> Prices are to be announced shortly.''  So says MacUser UK of 22nd
>> March.
>> But does the Rocket support A/UX?

>The story so far is that my dealer tells me that Radius says it supports
>A/UX 2.0, but not A/UX 2.0.1.  And that it costs pounds 2,499.  This is
>about pounds 200 more than it would cost to upgrade my 8 megabyte IIx to
>an 8 megabyte IIfx (at Apple's memory prices).

  It will? News to me. Its pretty doubtful that the Rocket will support
 A/UX unless Apple is willing to help us bring it up.

> As my IIx running A/UX is looking slow these days, I'm
>interested in something that will take it ``to twice the speed of The
>IIfx''.  But does the Rocket support A/UX?  And will it do anything for
>disk throughput and screen refresh speed -- as an upgrade to a IIfx
>would?

   When the Rocket is loaded, the motherboard processor is in charge of
 all other I/O tasks. This offloads the Rocket processor to do other
 stuff. Additionally, because the Rocket supports block-transfer,
 all graphics calls to video cards that support block transfer are speeded
 up immensly (i.e. All Radius video cards). Included with the Rocket
 accelerator are QuickColor and QuickCAD to speed up general and CAD drawing
 tasks. If you have a SCSI-2 card, Rocket can do block transfers directly
 to/from the SCSI card.

  In other words, WHOOOOOOOOSHHHH!.

#define DRAMATIC_REENACTMENT

  Scene: The designers of the Macintosh II line.

  Designer #1: Gee, should the motherboard be able to do block transfers
   to the NuBus?

  Desinger #2: Nah, we wouldn't want that, then we could write to the screen
  4x faster and our users would be really happy.

  Designer #1: Oh, ok.

#undef DRAMATIC_REENACTMENT

Pierce
--
My postings are my opinions, and my opinions are my own not that of my employer.
You can get me at radius!pierce@apple.com.