[comp.unix.aux] ELM guides and troff

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (03/28/91)

I've just installed ELM on our system. (Patchlevel 11, from dsi.com.)

Everything seems to have gone OK, except that the various Guides that come
with ELM are so much garbage after being formatted. The formatting consists
of the command "tbl {a guide} | troff tmac.n -", and this fails silently. The
output file winds up containing lots of garbage.

On the other hand, I can produce almost-perfect Guides by piping them through
"tbl | nroff -man". (So those man macros are good for something after all :-).)

The question is, what's wrong, how do I fix it, and is it worth fixing?

Thanks,
---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (03/31/91)

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>I've just installed ELM on our system. (Patchlevel 11, from dsi.com.)

>Everything seems to have gone OK, except that the various Guides that come
>with ELM are so much garbage after being formatted. The formatting consists
>of the command "tbl {a guide} | troff tmac.n -", and this fails silently. The
>output file winds up containing lots of garbage.
The output file contains codes to drive a typesetter, and a post processing
program is requried to change it to something your printer can understant
such as tpscript (freely distributed software) or transscript (adobe)
for postscript conversion, and others for laser jet conversion.

>On the other hand, I can produce almost-perfect Guides by piping them through
>"tbl | nroff -man". (So those man macros are good for something after all :-).)
better yet would be "tbl | nroff tmac.n -"

>The question is, what's wrong, how do I fix it, and is it worth fixing?
Nothings wrong, troff is for typesetters.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235