[comp.unix.aux] Install 2 byte font in MacX 1.1

xli@mcs.drexel.edu (Xing Li) (04/01/91)

Hi,

I have a question for installing 2 byte (Chinese) font in the MacX 1.1.

I download bdf fonts in the Mac and use the font menu to convert them and
update the font list. The `xlsfonts` command shows the newer installed fonts
in the MacX server.  However, when I try to use `xfd` to view 2 byte font,
Mac bombs with ID=12.  I notice that 1 byte font I installed works fine. I am
pretty sure that 2 byte font itself has no problem, since I use it in a Sun
Station.  I also checked Mac system error code, which says that 12 represents
"unimplemented core routine error".  I don't know if this indicates that 2 byte
fonts are not support by the current version of MacX.  The system I am using
is a Mac Plus with 2.5 Mb RAM, 44 Mb external harddisk running system 6.05.
The communication is performed through local talk.

Besides the above problem, I am satisfied by the performance of MacX.  I heard
MacX team is reading this newsgroup, could someone help me?  Thanks in advance.

xli@king.mcs.drexel.edu

abm@oxydol.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar31.171944.9636@mcs.drexel.edu>, xli@mcs.drexel.edu (Xing Li) writes:

|> Hi,
|>
|> I have a question for installing 2 byte (Chinese) font in the MacX 1.1.
|>
|> I download bdf fonts in the Mac and use the font menu to convert them and
|> update the font list. The `xlsfonts` command shows the newer installed fonts
|> in the MacX server.  However, when I try to use `xfd` to view 2 byte font,
|> Mac bombs with ID=12.  I notice that 1 byte font I installed works fine. I am
|> pretty sure that 2 byte font itself has no problem, since I use it in a Sun
|> Station.  I also checked Mac system error code, which says that 12 represents
|> "unimplemented core routine error".  I don't know if this indicates that 2 byte
|> fonts are not support by the current version of MacX.  The system I am using
|> is a Mac Plus with 2.5 Mb RAM, 44 Mb external harddisk running system 6.05.
|> The communication is performed through local talk.

Thanks for reporting this problem.  I have HEARD about this, but have
been unable to reliably reproduce this.  Would you care to share the .BDF
file with me so I can fix it in an upcoming release of MacX?  I certainly
would appreciate it...

|> Besides the above problem, I am satisfied by the performance of MacX.  I heard
|> MacX team is reading this newsgroup, could someone help me?  Thanks in advance.

We are (at least I am).  I hope we can get this fixed in MacX 1.1 + epsilon.
Thanks.

--

Alan Mimms (alan@apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but

xli@mcs.drexel.edu (Xing Li) (04/03/91)

In article <12843@goofy.Apple.COM> abm@oxydol.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) writes:
>In article <1991Mar31.171944.9636@mcs.drexel.edu>, xli@mcs.drexel.edu (Xing Li) writes:
>|>
>|> Hi,
>|>
>|> I have a question for installing 2 byte (Chinese) font in the MacX 1.1.
>|>
>|> I download bdf fonts in the Mac and use the font menu to convert them and
>|> update the font list. The `xlsfonts` command shows the newer installed fonts
>|> in the MacX server.  However, when I try to use `xfd` to view 2 byte font,
>|> Mac bombs with ID=12.  I notice that 1 byte font I installed works fine. I am
>|> pretty sure that 2 byte font itself has no problem, since I use it in a Sun
>|> Station.  I also checked Mac system error code, which says that 12 represents
>|> "unimplemented core routine error".  I don't know if this indicates that 2 byte
>|> fonts are not support by the current version of MacX.  The system I am using
>|> is a Mac Plus with 2.5 Mb RAM, 44 Mb external harddisk running system 6.05.
>|> The communication is performed through local talk.
>
>Thanks for reporting this problem.  I have HEARD about this, but have
>been unable to reliably reproduce this.  Would you care to share the .BDF
>file with me so I can fix it in an upcoming release of MacX?  I certainly
>would appreciate it...
>

>|> Besides the above problem, I am satisfied by the performance of MacX.  I heard
>|> MacX team is reading this newsgroup, could someone help me?  Thanks in advance.
>
>We are (at least I am).  I hope we can get this fixed in MacX 1.1 + epsilon.
>Thanks.
>
>|> xli@king.mcs.drexel.edu
>
>--
>
>Alan Mimms (alan@apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
>A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but
>Apple Computer                                | they *are* my own...
>Art without engineering is dreaming.  Engineering without art is calculating.
>	-- Steven K. Roberts in "Computing Across America"

Thank you for your posting.  The 2 byte bdf font (cclib16st) I tested is
downloaded from crl.nmsu.edu [128.123.1.14] in pub/chinese/fonts. It is
large (1.4 Mb).  If you cannot get it through ftp, please drop me a mail,
I will send it to you. Best wishes to you and your team.

Xing