[comp.unix.aux] newfs parameters for wren runner

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) (04/05/91)

What are the appropriate parameters for newfs when setting up a
seagate ST4385NM (wren runner) disk?  The partition is about 250 Mbytes,
slice 3.

While were're at it, what's the difference between /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 (the
partition I want to use) and /dev/rdsk/c6d0s3?

thanks

bob

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (04/05/91)

In article <27FBFA5C.17898@orion.oac.uci.edu> rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
}
}While were're at it, what's the difference between /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 (the
}partition I want to use) and /dev/rdsk/c6d0s3?
}

Well, /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 is the BLOCK device for that particular partition. That
is, read and writes will be done (mostly) on a block basis. Usually when
dealing with files, you want to use this device; that's why you mount the
BLOCK device.

However, there is another way to "talk" to this partition: character by
character. This is the /dev/rdsk/c6d0s3 partition, which stands for the RAW
device for that partition. newfs and fsck work better and faster when accessing
the RAW device. Also notice that such utilities as cpio and tar should be
used with the RAW device; that is output goes to rdsk not dsk (or rfloppy0
and not floppy0).

Generally, the rule of thumb is to use RAW for all file system utilities
and applications that are character/stream based (hence cpio). The BLOCK
device is the partition mounted.

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

 "I object to all this sex on the television. I mean, I keep falling off!"

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (04/06/91)

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
>What are the appropriate parameters for newfs when setting up a
>seagate ST4385NM (wren runner) disk?  The partition is about 250 Mbytes,
>slice 3.

That disk is the only non-Apple disk supported by /etc/disktab. Instead
of telling newfs about cylinders and tracks and whatnot, just tell it the
disk type is 'MN330'.

>While were're at it, what's the difference between /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 (the
>partition I want to use) and /dev/rdsk/c6d0s3?

One is a character device, the other is block. Try ls -l on each to see.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis