[comp.unix.aux] Looking for multiport serial card for A/UX

ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (04/07/91)

-----

I am looking for a good, not-terribly-expensive multiport serial card
for use in one of our MacII's running A/UX 2.0.  Specificly, I am
interested in something with about 4-ports with full modem control
that I can hook a couple of 9600-baud Hayes dial-in modems.  I don't
think I really need a smart-card or anything...just  something with a
couple of 16550A's and a decent driver would do nicely.

Any suggestions?  Many thanks...

--
	 ken seefried iii	ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu

	"If 'ya can't be with the one you love,
		   honey, love the one you're with..."

xkq18@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (04/07/91)

How about Applied Engineering's Quadralink?  Mail order at about $200...
Is this two much? for for new serial ports?  Unless you plan on a build
it yourself model, I don't think you will do much better, but then I
don
't know about everything either... good luck

lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr6.225247.29581@news.iastate.edu> xkq18@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
>How about Applied Engineering's Quadralink?  Mail order at about $200...
>Is this two much? for for new serial ports?  Unless you plan on a build
>it yourself model, I don't think you will do much better, but then I
>don
>'t know about everything either... good luck

I have one of these & when I called AE to see how to get it to work with A/UX
the guy at Tech support told me that the board does not fully support A/UX yet.
Using the Quadralink board you can only set up the modem and printer port (the
ones inside the mac) to allow logins (using setport).  You can then use the
init that comes with the program to shadow the printer & modem ports so that you
can use two of the Quadralink's ports under the Mac operating system shell.  He
told me that after the A/UX version of system 7 comes out A/UX will support the
ports in the Quadralink card fully (through the Comm. Toolbox).

Disclaimer: I have not verified this for myself yet.  I'm just telling you what
the tech support person told me.  So if it sounds hokey please don't blame me!
You can call them youself if you would like: tech support's number is
214 241 6084.

If anyone has gotten a Quadralink card to accept logins to A/UX please tell me
how you did it!  Or if you know of any cards which _do_ work already...

Lawrence Miller