[comp.unix.aux] Inits, CDEVs and A/UX 2.0

bordier@imag.fr (Jerome Bordier) (03/22/91)

Does there exist a list showing which Inits or CDEV are (not) compatible
with A/UX 2.0 ?

For example SCSIProbe2.01 crashes.

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/24/91)

In article <19563@imag.imag.fr> bordier@imag.fr (Jerome Bordier) writes:

>Does there exist a list showing which Inits or CDEV are (not) compatible
>with A/UX 2.0 ?
>
>For example SCSIProbe2.01 crashes.

Most likely because it tries to make use of the _SCSIDispatch selector,
which is not present on the A/UX 2.0(.1) system - no SCSI Manager support.

Tech Note #229, especially the new revised one, soon to open near your
cinema, is a good place to check for issues with Mac binaries that will
not work with A/UX.

BTW, I've had sleepless nights pondering about why I thought that the
_HFSDispatch was used to fake multiple monitors, I have a vague feeling
that it's _SCSIDispatch that someone had patched in order to create
multiple partitions (one way to do it), anyway sometimes you get
overflooded with information, and the brain can't build patterns
fast enough.

Regards,
Kent Sandvik, MacDTS Saturday Night Live crew member

--
Disclaimer: *Private* activity on the Net, in no way connected to any company.
Recommended SF books: Cormier FADE, Flynn IN THE COUNTRY OF THE BLIND, Geary

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (03/27/91)

In article <19563@imag.imag.fr> bordier@imag.fr (Jerome Bordier) writes:

>Does there exist a list showing which Inits or CDEV are (not) compatible
>with A/UX 2.0 ?
>
>For example SCSIProbe2.01 crashes.

And SuperClock 3.9 gives a bomb box if it's in your system folder when
you log in to a 24- or 32-bit Mac environment with A/UX 2.0.  This is
rather special: nothing else I have fails as spectacularly.  SuperClock
3.1, which works otherwise, jams the Finder if you attempt to use its
control panel interface from a 32-bit environment.

As to other CDEVs and INITs, I've tried a few freely-available ones, and
junked them if they fail.  I have not kept a tally.  Currently working
are Serial Mapper 2.3 (only relevant if you have a Taniwha CommCard);
DepthGauge 2.0.18; ShortCut 1.0.1 (commercial from Aladdin; good stuff);
and OnCue 1.3 (also commercial).

As a matter of interest, can anybody point to a problem-free menu-bar
clock?
--
Dominic Dunlop

hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton) (03/29/91)

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:

>In article <19563@imag.imag.fr> bordier@imag.fr (Jerome Bordier) writes:
>>
>>Does there exist a list showing which Inits or CDEV are (not) compatible
>>with A/UX 2.0 ?
>>
>>For example SCSIProbe2.01 crashes.

>And SuperClock 3.9 gives a bomb box if it's in your system folder when
>you log in to a 24- or 32-bit Mac environment with A/UX 2.0.  This is
>rather special: nothing else I have fails as spectacularly.  SuperClock
>3.1, which works otherwise, jams the Finder if you attempt to use its
>control panel interface from a 32-bit environment.

Odd, SuperClock! 3.9 works fine for me!  It's given me no problems since
my upgrade to 2.0 (and works equally fine under 2.0.1).

>As to other CDEVs and INITs, I've tried a few freely-available ones, and
>junked them if they fail.  I have not kept a tally.  Currently working
>are Serial Mapper 2.3 (only relevant if you have a Taniwha CommCard);
>DepthGauge 2.0.18; ShortCut 1.0.1 (commercial from Aladdin; good stuff);
>and OnCue 1.3 (also commercial).

>As a matter of interest, can anybody point to a problem-free menu-bar
>clock?

well, if SuperClock! won't work for you (maybe it's conflicting with one
of your other inits , but I run ~15 inits in the 32bit environment...
anyway, the clock with moire also works.  The screensaver doesn't work
properly tho...

--
Jon Hamilton
hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, net.god {retired}) (03/29/91)

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:

>>For example SCSIProbe2.01 crashes.

As will anything that diddles directly with the hardware or wants to play
with the SCSI bus, since neither aciton is allowed by A/UX right now.

>And SuperClock 3.9 gives a bomb box if it's in your system folder when
>you log in to a 24- or 32-bit Mac environment with A/UX 2.0.  This is
>rather special: nothing else I have fails as spectacularly.

It does? Wow. I must be doing something wrong then, because my copy of 3.9
refused to crash on my a/ux box. I'll have to fix that.

>As a matter of interest, can anybody point to a problem-free menu-bar
>clock?

I highly recommend superclock 3.9...

--
Chuq Von Rospach  >=<  chuq@apple.com  >=<  GEnie: CHUQ  >=<  AppleLink: CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended reading: BONE DANCE by Emma Bull; BLIND JUSTICE by S.N. Lewitt;
SCIENCE FICTION IN THE REAL WORLD by Norman Spinrad

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (03/29/91)

}
}>As a matter of interest, can anybody point to a problem-free menu-bar
}>clock?
}
}I highly recommend superclock 3.9...
}

Is that under 6.0.5 or 6.0.7? :):)
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Exploding is a perfectly normal medical phenomenon. In many fields of
 medicine nowadays, a dose of dynamite can do a world of good."

dundas@granite.jpl.nasa.gov (John Dundas) (03/29/91)

SuperClock! 3.9 works for me as well (IIfx, A/UX 2.0, global system folder).
Other INITs which work in my environment:  IconWrap 1.2, !DeskPict 1.1,
SUM Partition, ColorFinder, Messages, Public Folder, RAM Disk, Suitecase II,
Transform, Type Reunion.

John Dundas
Jet Propulsion Laboratory

bordier@imag.imag.fr (Jerome Bordier) (03/29/91)

In article <hamilton.670178866@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu> hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton) writes:
>anyway, the clock with moire also works.  The screensaver doesn't work
>properly tho...

1.  Can anybody point to a screensaver which works ?

2.  I would like too a screensaver which is active when the LOGIN dialog appears
on the screen (while I am taking a lunch at the campus restaurant for
example) -as some other UNIX stations do.

--
Jerome BORDIER 	Laboratoire de Structures Discretes et de Didactique
                IMAG B.P. 53 X  38041 GRENOBLE Cedex   FRANCE

In article <1991Mar28.202053.18389@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> dundas@granite.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (John Dundas) writes:
>SuperClock! 3.9 works for me as well (IIfx, A/UX 2.0, global system folder).
>Other INITs which work in my environment:  IconWrap 1.2, !DeskPict 1.1,
>SUM Partition, ColorFinder, Messages, Public Folder, RAM Disk, Suitecase II,
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have Public Folder 1.0 and IIcx, A/UX 2.0, global system folder.

1. Fetch command works if you get a file. It doesn't if you get a folder
    (message : Bad file name of volume name
               Error code -37
               Location 28 )

2. When fetching a file from a remote Mac on LocalTalk, A/UX crashes (goes into
    Macsbug, and I have to reboot).

Problem is the same when logging 24bits or 32bits session.

Do anybody observe same failures ?

--

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/29/91)

>And SuperClock 3.9 gives a bomb box if it's in your system folder when
>you log in to a 24- or 32-bit Mac environment with A/UX 2.0.  This is
>rather special: nothing else I have fails as spectacularly.

I have the same problem.  I get a Bomb ( = 1) when I run SuperClock! 3.9
from sumex. I had to log in using the Console Emulator so I could
delete the INIT.

This is A/UX 2.0, MacIIcx, 8 Meg, logged in as root, either 32 bit, or
24 bit. I have a 80 Meg and 330 Meg disk.

I have NO aditional INITs. I copied it from my MacOS folder on my 80
Meg disk. It works fine there.

Does ANYONE have any clue why SuperClock! 3.9 works for some but not others?
--
Bruce G. Barnett	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (04/04/91)

In article <12892@goofy.Apple.COM> jackie@apple.com (Jackie Macapanpan) writes:
}In article <19858@imag.imag.fr> bordier@imag.imag.fr (Jerome Bordier)
}writes:
}> 1.  Can anybody point to a screensaver which works ?
}>
}> 2.  I would like too a screensaver which is active when the LOGIN dialog
}appears
}> on the screen (while I am taking a lunch at the campus restaurant for
}> example) -as some other UNIX stations do.
}
}I don't know about A/UX 2.0 but under A/UX 2.0.1 the following dimmers
}work in the A/UX Finder:
} - After Dark
} - Moire
} - Blackout
} - Pyro!
}

When I use Moire, as soon as I start my CommandShell window, Moire saves the
screen. Not a major problem, of course :)

(For Info: I Login under Console and then use mac32 to get Mac-like)

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)

beard@ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) (04/16/91)

In article <19858@imag.imag.fr> bordier@imag.imag.fr (Jerome Bordier) writes:
#In article <hamilton.670178866@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu> hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton) writes:
#>anyway, the clock with moire also works.  The screensaver doesn't work
#>properly tho...
#>
#
#1.  Can anybody point to a screensaver which works ?
#
#2.  I would like too a screensaver which is active when the LOGIN dialog appears
#on the screen (while I am taking a lunch at the campus restaurant for
#example) -as some other UNIX stations do.
#

The next version of After Dark is compatible with A/UX 2.0.1 in both the
Login dialog and the Mac32 environment.  Send me e-mail if you are interested
in using After Dark under A/UX.

--
//  Patrick C. Beard, Software Engineer, Berkeley Systems, Inc.
//                    "Heroes of technology."