[comp.unix.aux] 2.0.1 weirdness... A small list :)

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (04/04/91)

Well, after installing the FULL upgrade to 2.0.1, I've noticed a few little
"things."

	1. This one is only appropriate if you have a color display;
	   Login under CommandShell 32 bit mode (CS32). Look to see
	   if you come up as 256 Color. Yes? Good. No? Then set it up as
	   256 Color (It'll be 256 Gray). No logout then log back in under
	   CS32. You should be 256 Color. Now logout and login under
	   24 bit CommandShell... Oops, you're 256 Gray. Change to 256
	   Color. logout and login as 24 bit again... Good! Still 256 Color.
	   Now logout and then  login as CS32... Oops! Back to 256 GRAY!

	   Seems that ONLY CS32 OR CS24 can be 256 Color... they can't BOTH
	   be... weird. (A/UX Tech Support knows, can recreate, and or writing
	   and "engineering note")

	2  Using ksh? Good. Under Console Mode cd to some small (but not too
	   small directory). Type "find . -print" and RETURN. Immediately
	   type in "who" RETURN and "ls" RETURN. When find is done the shell
	   will then do a "who" then a "ls", as it should. Now login under
	   the CommandShell. Do the same thing... Oops! "who" and "ls" don't
	   work (what'll echo is something like "who^Jls"). The fix? Set
	   ksh to viraw mode (set -o viraw). (of course if it DID work then
	   you were under viraw mode anyway). Add this to ~/.kshrc.

	3. Boy! Haven't the size of executables grown! Using shared libraries
	   really don't save that much space anymore.

Anyway, that's it for now...

PS: Tony Cooper's "st" driver, DaynaCommunications "dp" driver (for their
    EtherPortII card) and Daystar Digitals "accII" driver work under 2.0.1.

    Just thought you'd like to know :)

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Exploding is a perfectly normal medical phenomenon. In many fields of
 medicine nowadays, a dose of dynamite can do a world of good."

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (04/23/91)

In article <4763@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:

> Well, after installing the FULL upgrade to 2.0.1, I've noticed a few little
> "things."
>
> 	1. This one is only appropriate if you have a color display;
> 	   Login under CommandShell 32 bit mode (CS32). Look to see
> 	   if you come up as 256 Color. Yes? Good. No? Then set it up as
> 	   256 Color (It'll be 256 Gray). No logout then log back in under
> 	   CS32. You should be 256 Color. Now logout and login under
> 	   24 bit CommandShell... Oops, you're 256 Gray. Change to 256
> 	   Color. logout and login as 24 bit again... Good! Still 256 Color.
> 	   Now logout and then  login as CS32... Oops! Back to 256 GRAY!
>
> 	   Seems that ONLY CS32 OR CS24 can be 256 Color... they can't BOTH
> 	   be... weird. (A/UX Tech Support knows, can recreate, and or writing
> 	   and "engineering note")

Has this been fixed yet?  I get the same thing, with the addition of the
Login dialog screen being 256 Gray all the time.
--
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.