[comp.unix.aux] Multiple Mac Partitions under AUX

RTCF90@waccvm.mot.com.sps (Andreas Kirchner) (04/18/91)

I used Silverlinnig to partition a 300 meg hard disk, 150 for AUX and the other
150 in 4 mac partitions.  As I found out, AUX will only mount the first Mac
volume wich is the startup (System & FInder), but the volumes I really need are
the other three.

Does anybody know how to 'fool' the system so that I can mount the other Mac
volumes???

Please be specific in your answer (If there is one)

Thanks.

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.232019.16018@oakhill.sps.mot.com>, RTCF90@waccvm (Andreas Kirchner) writes:
>I used Silverlinnig to partition a 300 meg hard disk, 150 for AUX and the other
>150 in 4 mac partitions.  As I found out, AUX will only mount the first Mac
>volume wich is the startup (System & FInder), but the volumes I really need are
>the other three.
>
>Does anybody know how to 'fool' the system so that I can mount the other Mac
>volumes???
>
>Please be specific in your answer (If there is one)

Unfortunately there isn't an answer.  The standard Apple partitioning
scheme doesn't allow for multiple mac partitions on one scsi device -
silverlining does some sort of end run around this to give you what
appear to be multiple partitions but, I believe, are really just large
files on the one "true" mac partition.  Not surprisingly, this doesn't
work with A/UX, perhaps because the Mac driver isn't used to access
the disk.  I may have the details wrong on this one, but that's the
general idea.

anders

tony@tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz (Tony Cooper) (04/18/91)

|> Does anybody know how to 'fool' the system so that I can mount the
other Mac
|> volumes???

To mount a mac partition you need a driver for it. Nowhere in the whole
A/UX distribution is there a driver for multiple partitions. So you can't
fool the system. Waste of time trying.

I wrote a program to mount multiple partitions. But everytime I go to
release it I think up a new feature to add to it. My problem is that it's
the first real Mac program I have written (I always cheated and used
Prorotyper)
but this is system software from scratch. Everytime I read a new chapter in
IM I find something new to try out. That's Apple's fault. They should have
given us MSDOS.

Tony Cooper

kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.071816.4503@verity.com> anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) writes:
>In article <1991Apr17.232019.16018@oakhill.sps.mot.com>, RTCF90@waccvm (Andreas Kirchner) writes:

->Does anybody know how to 'fool' the system so that I can mount the other Mac
->volumes???

>Unfortunately there isn't an answer.  The standard Apple partitioning
>scheme doesn't allow for multiple mac partitions on one scsi device -

Not true.  The SCSI partitioning scheme allows for multiple Mac partitions,
just like it allows for multiple 'usr' partitions (and multiple 'free'
partitions).  Its just that the driver has to be able to handle it.  In the
MacOS environment, it seems that just about everyone except Apple has
figured out how to handle multiple HFS partitions (e.g. SuperMac, Micronet,
LaCie,...).  Under A/UX, you are stuck (at least for the time being) with
Apple's inability (or unwillingness) to write such a driver.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

lamarche@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Louis Lamarche) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr18.071816.4503@verity.com>, anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr17.232019.16018@oakhill.sps.mot.com>, RTCF90@waccvm (Andreas Kirchner) writes:
|> >I used Silverlinnig to partition a 300 meg hard disk, 150 for AUX and the other
|> >150 in 4 mac partitions.  As I found out, AUX will only mount the first Mac
|> >volume wich is the startup (System & FInder), but the volumes I really need are
|> >the other three.
|> >
|> >Does anybody know how to 'fool' the system so that I can mount the other Mac
|> >volumes???
|> >
|> >Please be specific in your answer (If there is one)

I have formated a 650M Dynatek drive with the "50% A/UX, 50% MacOS" model with
Silverlining. This gives 9 partitions. Using "dp" I get

Command? p3
DPM Index: 3
Name: "A/UX Root", Type: "Apple_UNIX_SVR2"
Physical: 109134 @ 128, Logical: 109134 @ 0
        read    write
Slice 0 (clustered)
Regular UNIX File System (1)
Cluster:   0    Type: RUFS      Inode: 1
Made: [672106141] Fri Apr 19 20:08:47 1991
Mount: [672106235] Fri Apr 19 20:10:21 1991
Umount: [672106284] Fri Apr 19 20:11:10 1991
No AltBlk map
Command? p6
DPM Index: 6
Name: "Unreserved 1", Type: "Apple_UNIX_SVR2"
Physical: 580000 @ 152270, Logical: 580000 @ 0
        read    write
Slice 3
Regular UNIX File System (1)
Cluster:   0    Type: FS        Inode: 1
Made: [0] Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
Mount: [0] Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
Umount: [0] Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
No AltBlk map

Now, you must link the physical partition on the disk to a disk devices

pname -a -c2 -d0 -s1 "Unreserved 1"

this will create /etc/ptab making the link "Unreserved 1" <-> /dev/dsk/c2d0s1

now you can mount the partition:
  1) add the following line in /etc/fstab

/dev/dsk/c2d0s1        /mnt    4.2     rw 1 2

  2) mount -a

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (04/27/91)

lamarche@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Louis Lamarche) writes:
>I have formated a 650M Dynatek drive with the "50% A/UX, 50% MacOS" model with
>Silverlining. This gives 9 partitions. Using "dp" I get
>
> [...]
>
>Now, you must link the physical partition on the disk to a disk devices
>
>pname -a -c2 -d0 -s1 "Unreserved 1"
>
>this will create /etc/ptab making the link "Unreserved 1" <-> /dev/dsk/c2d0s1

This will work but you're better off using slice 3 (and then 4 if you need
another). This is because slice 1 is usually a Swap partition. I don't _think_
you're actually risking anything here, but I wouldn't chance it. The MacOS
startup shell is badly broken in this respect, and I don't trust it not to
do funny things to any slice 1 it happens to meet.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

ps- I'm off to Europe for three weeks. Anyone sending me mail won't get an
answer until after May 20...