[comp.unix.aux] Is AU/X 2.0.1 really shipping?

billw@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Bill Walburg) (04/25/91)

I have been trying to get AU/X 2.0.1 for my Mac IIsi since late January
and have been unsuccessful in getting it in my grubby little hands.
My local dealer has taken my order, but cannot tell me when he can get it.
I've called the Apple customer service and all they will tell me is that
they are taking orders (they will not confirm that they are currently
shipping it).  My question is - What state is AU/X 2.0.1 currently in
right now? (beta test or shipping)  And if it is shipping what kind of
lead time are we talking about?  Please, help me out.  I have a IIsi
without Unix!!!  Thanks in advance.

Bill Walburg @ Xetron Corporation, Cincinnati, Ohio
billw@Xetron.com     ..!uunet!kgw2!billw

gosciak@muondev.uucp (Doug Gosciak) (04/29/91)

In <2150@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM> billw@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Bill Walburg) writes:

>I have been trying to get AU/X 2.0.1 for my Mac IIsi since late January
>and have been unsuccessful in getting it in my grubby little hands.
>My local dealer has taken my order, but cannot tell me when he can get it.
>I've called the Apple customer service and all they will tell me is that
>they are taking orders (they will not confirm that they are currently
>shipping it).  My question is - What state is AU/X 2.0.1 currently in
>right now? (beta test or shipping)  And if it is shipping what kind of
>lead time are we talking about?  Please, help me out.  I have a IIsi
>without Unix!!!  Thanks in advance.

>Bill Walburg @ Xetron Corporation, Cincinnati, Ohio
>billw@Xetron.com     ..!uunet!kgw2!billw

Just so you know; it isn't only the full-up 2.0.1 that Apple won't commit on.
I ordered the Incremental Update kit to 2.0.1 for my CDROM based 2.0 and I
got the same line fromthe local AMS/Connecting Point dealer. Apple will not
give their warehouse any date for shipment!

Come on Apple what the hell gives here?

Snail: Doug R. Gosciak     Quote: Become the one    Net: gosciak@muondev.uucp
       3321 Wyoming SW            you dream you     GEnie: DGOSCIAK
       Wyoming, MI 49509          can be.           CI$: 72115,703

blitz@memory.enet.dec.com (Martin Blitz) (04/30/91)

> Just so you know; it isn't only the full-up 2.0.1 that Apple won't commit on.
> I ordered the Incremental Update kit to 2.0.1 for my CDROM based 2.0 and I
> got the same line fromthe local AMS/Connecting Point dealer. Apple will not
> give their warehouse any date for shipment!

I ordered my incremental upgrade 3 weeks ago.  ComputerLand said it would
take 3 to 4 weeks.  I came last Wednesday.  That's only 2.5 weeks!

So, at least the CDROM incremental upgrade is shipping.

BTW:  The incremental upgrade for CDROM comes on floppy.  This is a bit
inconvenient, since I had set up my system so that I only had files needed
for booting, and commonly accessed files, on my hard drive.  I created links
to the other directories/files from my 2.0 CDROM which I always kept mounted.
Since the upgrade is on floppy, I have to keep everything on my hard drive.

Apple, why wasn't the upgrade available on CD?  I assume you ship a full 2.0.1
on CD.  I bought my CDROM for A/UX; what a waste.  Can't customers who pay for
an upgrade to CDROM get a real CDROM?