[comp.unix.aux] Trouble with newfs under 2.0

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) (04/29/91)

What induces newfs to announce ".....preposterous size -1" in response to
newfs -v /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 MN330 ?

/dev/dsk/c6d0s3 was created using mknod per the instructions
provided by Vicky Brown of Apple and posted here some months (?)
ago.  The command was accepted without error, the disk partition
having been created with Silverlining as Random A/UX.  /dev/rdsk/c6d0s3
was also created at the same time.  The disk is a Wren Runner,
which I've been told is equivalent to (same as) a Micronet 330.  The
partition in question is the 244-odd M left over after installation
of the aux root filesystem.

Any help is appreciated

bob prohaska

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) (04/30/91)

In article <281BB859.16991@orion.oac.uci.edu> rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
>What induces newfs to announce ".....preposterous size -1" in response to
>newfs -v /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 MN330 ?
>/dev/dsk/c6d0s3 was created using mknod per the instructions
>provided by Vicky Brown of Apple and posted here some months (?)
>ago.  The command was accepted without error, the disk partition
>having been created with Silverlining as Random A/UX.  /dev/rdsk/c6d0s3
>was also created at the same time.  The disk is a Wren Runner,
>which I've been told is equivalent to (same as) a Micronet 330.  The
>partition in question is the 244-odd M left over after installation
>of the aux root filesystem.

Hello, newfs does not have such message, it's mkfs which has this
error message, and it's usually triggered when the last block can't
be accessed. Check the file system size, if you give false numbers
to mkfs it can't read the last blocks. Don't know if this helps though.

Kent Sandvik

--
Kent Sandvik, DTS Rock Lobster
Disclaimer: I am not working with Public Relations.

antonio@Apple.COM (Antonio Ordonez) (04/30/91)

In article <13244@goofy.Apple.COM> ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) writes:
>In article <281BB859.16991@orion.oac.uci.edu> rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
>>What induces newfs to announce ".....preposterous size -1" in response to
>>newfs -v /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 MN330 ?
>>/dev/dsk/c6d0s3 was created using mknod per the instructions
>>provided by Vicky Brown of Apple and posted here some months (?)
>>ago.  The command was accepted without error, the disk partition
>>having been created with Silverlining as Random A/UX.  /dev/rdsk/c6d0s3
>>was also created at the same time.  The disk is a Wren Runner,
>>which I've been told is equivalent to (same as) a Micronet 330.  The
>>partition in question is the 244-odd M left over after installation
>>of the aux root filesystem.

You might want to check the partition map using dp. Sometimes SilverLining
doesn't create a BZB (block-zero-block).

Use dp and print the information for the slice in question

#dp /dev/dsk/c6d0s31
"/dev/dsk/c0d0s31" 9 partitions, 9 allocated [678574]
Command? p7
DPM Index: 7
Name: "A/UX Random", Type: "Apple_UNIX_SVR2"
Physical: 109134 @ 128, Logical: 109134 @ 0
        read    write
Slice 3 (clustered)
Regular UNIX File System (1)
Cluster:   0    Type: FS      Inode: 1
Made: [0] Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
Mount: [0] Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
Umount: [0] Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
No AltBlk map
Command?

If it doesnt look like that then you can use the change command
in dp and add a BZB

Command? c7
DPME Field? b
Cluster # [0]: 0
FS type (1=UNIX,2=EFS,3=SFS) [?]: 1
Root file system? n
Usr file system? n
DPME Field?

For more information on dp please read the man page. Also you can type
a "?" once in dp and it will give you a list of the possible options.

Hope this helps

Antonio

#include <disclaimer.h> 	/*  I'll think of a better one later  */
Antonio Ordonez				 	      amdahl \
Technical Communications/Direct Response Center	  pyramid!sun - apple!antonio
Apple Computer, Inc. (408) 996-1010		      decwrl /