[comp.unix.aux] A/UX questions

grandi@noao.arizona.edu (Steve Grandi) (05/24/88)

We support a large astronomical software package called IRAF (Image
Reduction and Analysis Facility) that is in use at 150+ sites around the
world on machines running many varieties of Unix, VMS and a Data General
OS whose name escapes me.  Several universites have asked us for a port to
the Mac II running A/UX and since we have some NASA money to port IRAF to
new systems, we are planning to acquire a Mac II of our own with A/UX so we
can do the initial port and keep it going over further IRAF releases.

I have two initial questions:  How do we get A/UX?  The local Computerland
will be glad to sell us the Mac II with all the trimmings, but they can't
sell us A/UX.  The University of Arizona is not an Apple Consortium member
(in any case, we aren't officialy a part of the U of A).  So how can we get
A/UX?

What is the state of the A/UX Fortran compiler?  IRAF is mostly Fortran and
compiler quality is the limiting factor in all our ports (even the best of
compilers have optimizer bugs on a few of our modules).  Any third party
compilers?
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,ncar,ihnp4}!noao!grandi or uunet!noao.arizona.edu!grandi

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (05/26/88)

in article <690@noao.UUCP>, grandi@noao.arizona.edu (Steve Grandi) says:

> What is the state of the A/UX Fortran compiler?  IRAF is mostly Fortran and
> compiler quality is the limiting factor in all our ports (even the best of
> compilers have optimizer bugs on a few of our modules).  Any third party
> compilers?
> --

A FORTRAN compiler is available from UniSoft (6121 Hollis St., Suite 100,
Emeryville, CA 94608. 415-420-6400).

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

jeffc@leda (Jeff Currier) (01/26/89)

We just got our MacIIx with A/UX and I have a few questions that some of
you great guys and gals out there could answer.

1) Why are my ethernet connections so slow? Is 3-minutes normal to
connect to a machine next door?

2) Are there any other window Manegers besides "term"?  Term is O.K. but
I was spoiled bye "suntools" and term seems primitive.

3) Are there any Screen blanking routines or screen locks available?

4) Are there any graphics emulation routines for say Tek 4014 emulation?

		Thanks a bunch.  I know these quesations are simple for
some of you.  But I am just getting started and I am lost.
Jeff Currier  (602)621-4948
Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab
University of Arizona
Internet: jeffc@jupiter.ame.arizona.edu
UUCP: {allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!jupiter!jeffc

mckenzie@june.cs.washington.edu (Neil McKenzie) (01/26/89)

(line eater)
(line eater)
(line eater)
(line eater)
(line eater)
(line eater)
(line eater)
(line eater)
(line eater)
(line eater)

In article <879@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu> jeffc@jupiter.ame.arizona.edu (Jeff Currier) writes:
>We just got our MacIIx with A/UX and I have a few questions that some of
>you great guys and gals out there could answer.
>
>1) Why are my ethernet connections so slow? Is 3-minutes normal to
>connect to a machine next door?

Sounds like the same problem I had with the loopback interface.
When the system boots, you need a command something like
"ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1" to enable the loop interface.

>2) Are there any other window Manegers besides "term"?  Term is O.K. but
>I was spoiled bye "suntools" and term seems primitive.
>3) Are there any Screen blanking routines or screen locks available?
>
>4) Are there any graphics emulation routines for say Tek 4014 emulation?

There's the X11 windowing package from MIT that has all this and more.
See if there is a fileserver in your domain that has source code.
Checking with the Computer Science department at your university
is a good bet.

>		Thanks a bunch.  I know these quesations are simple for
>some of you.  But I am just getting started and I am lost.
>Jeff Currier  (602)621-4948
>Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab
>University of Arizona
>Internet: jeffc@jupiter.ame.arizona.edu
>UUCP: {allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!jupiter!jeffc

--Neil McKenzie (mckenzie@cs.washington.edu)
"Where am I?"
"You can't get there from here."  --Firesign Theatre

kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (01/26/89)

In article <879@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu>, jeffc@leda (Jeff Currier) writes:
> 1) Why are my ethernet connections so slow? Is 3-minutes normal to
> connect to a machine next door?

It's not really "normal," but then again it's not really bad, either.
Depending upon your Ethernet card and the traffic on your network it may
indeed be "normal."

Also, if you're using Apple's EtherTalk card, you may have quite a few
problems with Ethernet overflows if you're running A/UX 1.0 and have a
busy network.

> 2) Are there any other window Manegers besides "term"?  Term is O.K. but
> I was spoiled bye "suntools" and term seems primitive.

Term isn't really a window manager, just a program which displays multiple
terminals on-screen.  The window manager is more-or-less standard Apple
toolbox, to the extent supported by A/UX 1.0.

> 3) Are there any Screen blanking routines or screen locks available?

I'm sure there are some, but I don't know too much about this one...

> 4) Are there any graphics emulation routines for say Tek 4014 emulation?

Depending upon what's out there, the above question as well as 2,3 and 4
can be easily answered by telling you to run the X Window System.  X11r3
is available as source from MIT (ask around for more info) or sometime
soon now from Apple as a supported product (with a faster server than
you get with the standard core distribution).  By running X you could:

	* Use the window manager of your choice (uwm, twm, awm)

	* Get auto screen blanking, and I know there are X screen locking
	  programs out there

	* Get Tektronix emulation via xterm

> 		Thanks a bunch.  I know these quesations are simple for
> some of you.  But I am just getting started and I am lost.
> Jeff Currier  (602)621-4948
> Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab
> University of Arizona
> Internet: jeffc@jupiter.ame.arizona.edu
> UUCP: {allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!jupiter!jeffc

I am assuming you mean new to A/UX and not new to UNIX; if that's not
the case  I'm sorry if I lost you somewhere above...

--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.  So there.

beard@ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) (08/16/90)

Here are some questions for those  of you who have been  using A/UX 2.0
a little longer than I.

o  How does one adjust the amount of virtual memory the system uses?

o  How do I get MPW 3.1 to work?  It hangs my system.

o  How do I keep command lines that I edit with backspace keep from erasing
the prompt?  I know line  discipline is the issue here, how  do I turn it
on?

o  Can I refer to a file on mac file system disks from within Unix?  Can the
mac volume appear to be under the / volume?

Thanks.

-  Patrick Beard, Macintosh Programmer                        (beard@lbl.gov) -
-  Berkeley Systems, Inc.  ".......<dead air>.......Good day!" - Paul Harvey  -

ron@afsg.apple.com (Ron Flax) (08/16/90)

In article <6509@helios.ee.lbl.gov> beard@ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) writes:
>o  How does one adjust the amount of virtual memory the system uses?
put a line like:
	setenv TBMEMORY 10m
in your .login file... the 10m means 10meg.  You can go up to 16meg

>o  How do I get MPW 3.1 to work?  It hangs my system.
MPW 3.1 doesn't work under A/UX 2.0 yet, 3.2 will work
though.. in the meantime you can make 3.1 work by breaking
into MacsBug when it's hung, and entering pc=pc+2;g.

>o  How do I keep command lines that I edit with backspace keep from erasing
>the prompt?  I know line  discipline is the issue here, how  do I turn it
>on?
Actually it's a function of the tty driver.  The BSD tty driver (which
A/UX doesn't use) handles this, the SysV tty driver does not.  What you
can do is run a shell such as tcsh (available from ohio state) which
internally keeps track of keys typed, and where the prompt string is,
etc.

>o  Can I refer to a file on mac file system disks from within Unix?  Can the
>mac volume appear to be under the / volume?
Nope. That's not supported.

--
Ron Flax
UUCP:		..!uunet!afsg!ron

justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) (08/16/90)

In article <6509@helios.ee.lbl.gov> beard@ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) writes:
>o  How does one adjust the amount of virtual memory the system uses?
	In /mac/bin/mac32 (or mac24), add to the "startmac" line the flag
	"-mxm" (for example, "-m16m"), to get a virtual RAM size of "x" MB.
	Note that a variety of reasons, "x" can be at most 16 (or 8 in 24-bit mode).
	You can also set the environment variable TBMEMORY=xm, x as above.

>o  How do I get MPW 3.1 to work?  It hangs my system.
	You can't do it directly; MPW 3.1 is not A/UX compatible.  Apple's DTS may
	be able to help you with work-arounds for some incompatibilities (to get
	past the hang, for example).

>o  How do I keep command lines that I edit with backspace keep from erasing
>the prompt?  I know line  discipline is the issue here, how  do I turn it
>on?
	You can't.  We don't support the appropriate line discipline.

>o  Can I refer to a file on mac file system disks from within Unix?  Can the
>mac volume appear to be under the / volume?
	Another "no can do".  The "A/UX finder world" is the only way to access both
	file systems.  You could write a "hybrid app" that attached to the finder
	world, but you can't access HFS volumes from the A/UX kernel directly.

	In a similar vein, you can't "mount" an HFS volume on an A/UX inode.

>Thanks.
>-  Patrick Beard, Macintosh Programmer                        (beard@lbl.gov) -

Regards,

Justin
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   *
A/UX Group                              |
Apple Computer, Inc.                    |  When meetings are outlawed,
10440 Bubb Rd,                          |    Only outlaws will have meetings
Cupertino, CA 95014                     *

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   (justin@apple.com) *
A/UX Group                              *------------------|
Apple Computer, Inc.                    |  When meetings are outlawed,
10440 Bubb Rd,                          |    Only outlaws will have meetings
Cupertino, CA 95014                     *

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn L. Austin) (05/02/91)

Besides the two problems I'm having with A/UX (StyleWriter 57.6Kbaud and
AppleTalk never getting turned off), I am curious as to whether I can
ditch the install.d and uninstall.d folders in /etc.  I don't see any reason
beyond reconfiguring the kernel to keep them, so I would like to ditch as
much as possible so that I can have 40MB free for news.  Anybody know for
sure as to whether I can ditch the /etc/*.d folders?  Anybody know why
the TrueType init causes Commando to hang?  How about what to patch for
the AppleTalk and 57.6Kbaud problems?

adv<THANKS>ance

| Glenn L. Austin - Mac Wizard and Auto Racing Driver                         |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp                                                 |
|  "Turn too soon, run out of room.  Turn too late, much better fate."        |

lantz@Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) (05/04/91)

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn L. Austin) writes:

>Anybody know why
>the TrueType init causes Commando to hang?

Yes. I believe it is fixed in 2.0.1.

>adv<THANKS>ance

>| Glenn L. Austin - Mac Wizard and Auto Racing Driver

Bob Lantz
A/UX Commando Team