[comp.unix.aux] Bug in A/UX 2.0.1

cstruble@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Craig Struble) (04/26/91)

I had an interesting bug appear yesterday. There was a file on my Mac partition
that was named .openwin-menu that I wanted to move to A/UX. While under mac24,
I dragged the file as I normally would have from the Mac partition to the A/UX
parition, and then, MacsBug popped up with an exception. I tried this numerous
times, and the same error popped up. Renaming the file to just openwin-menu
allowed me to move the file successfully.

Is this a documented problem in the A/UX 2.0 manuals (I have the 1.0 manuals,
but since Va. Tech moved to using Amiga 3000's for CS students, I can't get
my hands on 2.0 manuals)? If not, has anyone else moved a file beginning with
a . successfully under A/UX 2.0.1 mac24?

	Thanks,
	   Craig

--
Craig Struble                    Sysop of The Toaster (703)951-4308
Va. Tech CS Student		 Mac and A/UX support (Fidonet 1:151/118.1)

murphy@hao.hao.ucar.edu (Murphy) (04/26/91)

This is a "feature" of the Finder, when copying files whose
names begin with a period between filesystems (I think) and is
not A/UX dependent.

I had a similar problem under MacOS copying a .joverc
file---took ages to track down what was going wrong because the
file in question was buried about four levels deep and there
were no obvious clues as to what the problem was.  The problem
derives (I seem to recall) from the fact that the MacOS drivers have
names that begin with a period.

Graham Murphy

High Altitude Observatory
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000. Ph:(303)497-1565; Fax:(303)497-1137.
INTERNET: murphy@hao.UCAR.EDU; Solar PO: GMurphy@SOLAR

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) (04/26/91)

In article <11189@ncar.ucar.edu> murphy@hao.hao.ucar.edu (Murphy) writes:

>This is a "feature" of the Finder, when copying files whose
>names begin with a period between filesystems (I think) and is
>not A/UX dependent.
>I had a similar problem under MacOS copying a .joverc
>file---took ages to track down what was going wrong because the
>file in question was buried about four levels deep and there
>were no obvious clues as to what the problem was.  The problem
>derives (I seem to recall) from the fact that the MacOS drivers have
>names that begin with a period.

Well, it's not problem, it's a MacOS system dependency! :-). All
driver names should start with a '.', and beware those end users
who would like to name their files with a starting dot.

Kent Sandvik

--
Kent Sandvik, DTS junkie

sysmark@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Mark Bartelt) (05/03/91)

In article <13188@goofy.Apple.COM>
ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) writes:

| In article <11189@ncar.ucar.edu> murphy@hao.hao.ucar.edu (Murphy) writes:
|
| >This is a "feature" of the Finder, when copying files whose
| >names begin with a period between filesystems (I think) and is
| >not A/UX dependent.
|
| Well, it's not problem, it's a MacOS system dependency! :-). All
| driver names should start with a '.', and beware those end users
| who would like to name their files with a starting dot.

For the benefit of us UNIXoids who know very little about either MacOS
or A/UX, could you elaborate a bit?  Despite the smiley, I don't know
whether your comment was intended to be humourous, flippant, serious,
or two (or all three) of the above.

Are you saying that, despite the fact that Mac files have file types
associated with them, the finder nonetheless uses the *name* of the
file to decide whether something is a driver or not?  If so, isn't
this a horrible botch even in the MacOS world?  And regardless, it's
totally unacceptable in an A/UX environment, given the preponderance
of files whose names begin with '.' under UNIX.

Is something terribly wrong with A/UX in this regard, or have I just
missed a joke that floated over my head?

Mark Bartelt                                             416/978-5619
Canadian Institute for                          mark@cita.toronto.edu
Theoretical Astrophysics                        mark@cita.utoronto.ca

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (05/04/91)

sysmark@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>Are you saying that, despite the fact that Mac files have file types
>associated with them, the finder nonetheless uses the *name* of the
>file to decide whether something is a driver or not?  If so, isn't

Actually, I believe it's the low-level file-handling code in MacOS, so
*every* MacOS app gets hit by it, not the finder.

>this a horrible botch even in the MacOS world?  And regardless, it's

It *is* a horrible botch, IMHO.  They shoulda gone the Unix approach and had
device special files.  Alas, it's 7 years too late to fix this...

>totally unacceptable in an A/UX environment, given the preponderance
>of files whose names begin with '.' under UNIX.

Rather annoying, yes.  A/UX does make some attempt to get around this; if
you notice on a Finder display of ones home directory under A/UX, one will
see the usual .-files (except for "." and "..") with the "." changed to the
"big-dot" character in the extended char set used by MacOS.  Alas, the
translation isn't implemented the other way.  It may not be *possible* to
do it the other way cleanly, as there's probably entirely too much code,
inside MacOS and out, that *depends* on being able to open those drivers.

>Is something terribly wrong with A/UX in this regard, or have I just
>missed a joke that floated over my head?

The basic problem is one common to lots of environments, namely mapping one
filesystem with one set of restrictions on name content/format to another.
The same sort of thing happens with people running MS-DOS and mounting NFS
filesystems from Unix hosts, or running VP/ix or similar MS-DOS emulation
packages under Unix.  No matter what algorithm you choose for mapping
filenames from one FS to another, somebody's going to get screwed by it.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May3.141724.23954@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> mark@cita.toronto.edu writes:

>Are you saying that, despite the fact that Mac files have file types
>associated with them, the finder nonetheless uses the *name* of the
>file to decide whether something is a driver or not?  If so, isn't
>this a horrible botch even in the MacOS world?  And regardless, it's
>totally unacceptable in an A/UX environment, given the preponderance
>of files whose names begin with '.' under UNIX.

>Is something terribly wrong with A/UX in this regard, or have I just
>missed a joke that floated over my head?

Compability means that every feature and every *limitation/bug* has
to be implemented 1:1. This is true of network protocols, CPU design,
operating system emulation and document architectures.

Kent Sandvik, who has seen vt220 emulation packages that will
break because they fixed a DEC bug.

--
Kent Sandvik, DTS Rock Lobster
Disclaimer: I am not working with Public Relations.