[comp.unix.aux] System 7.0 and A/UX

dpassage@soda.berkeley.edu (David G. Paschich) (05/16/91)

Will System 7 and A/UX coexist with eachother happily?  If not, why not, and
when?  I've got A/UX on order (my "dealer" is the UC Berkeley student sales
program, who apparently don't know the difference between a CD-ROM and the
Led Zeppelin boxed set), and want to know if it's worthwhile to install
System 7 on my Mac now or if I'll have to rip it all out when I finally get
my copy of A/UX.

Or here's a possible scenario:  System 7 on my internal drive with A/UX in a
Unix partition and System 6 in a MacOS partition on my external drive.
Will it work?  Will I be able to easily switch-boot among the three?  Or is
there a better solution?

------

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.105935.14623@agate.berkeley.edu> dpassage@soda.berkeley.edu (David G. Paschich) writes:
>Will System 7 and A/UX coexist with eachother happily?  If not, why not, and
>when?  I've got A/UX on order (my "dealer" is the UC Berkeley student sales
>program, who apparently don't know the difference between a CD-ROM and the
>Led Zeppelin boxed set), and want to know if it's worthwhile to install
>System 7 on my Mac now or if I'll have to rip it all out when I finally get
>my copy of A/UX.
>
>Or here's a possible scenario:  System 7 on my internal drive with A/UX in a
>Unix partition and System 6 in a MacOS partition on my external drive.
>Will it work?  Will I be able to easily switch-boot among the three?  Or is
>there a better solution?

You can't start the standalone shell from System 7 due to a problem
described in TN229. The solution is to either boot from another hard
disk with the System 6 environment, boot from a floppy which should be
quite painless, or make use of the Blesser utility (available on the
Developer Services CDs) which blesses/unblesses system folders on the same
volume.

Kent

--
Disclaimer: Private and personal activities on USENET, non-company sponsored

timm@Sed.Novell.COM (Tim Myers) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May16.105935.14623@agate.berkeley.edu>
dpassage@soda.berkeley.edu (David G. Paschich) writes:
> Will System 7 and A/UX coexist with each other happily?

If by using the word "coexist" you mean System 7 and A/UX must be at the
same place or at the same time you are out of luck on both counts unless
you have two Macs.  :-)

If you have enough disk, you can install *LOTS* of different versions of
various operating systems, but you must choose which single one you want
to boot.

> I've got A/UX on order... and want to know if it's worthwhile to install
> System 7 on my Mac now or if I'll have to rip it all out when I finally
> get my copy of A/UX.

It depends.  Will you have enough room on you hard disk(s)?

> Or here's a possible scenario:  System 7 on my internal drive with A/UX
> in a Unix partition and System 6 in a MacOS partition on my external drive.
> Will it work?  Will I be able to easily switch-boot among the three?

It depends.  Are all your disks Apple-issue?  If not, do you have
partitioning software and drivers for System 7 and A/UX 2.0?

Here's what works for me:

I have a Mac IIfx with an Apple Internal HD80SC with standard A/UX 2.0
partitions (includes a nominal System 6.0.5 boot partition).  I also have
an external CDC Wren III with a Mac partition for System 7 and an A/UX
user partition I created with SilverLining.

Using the control panel, I select the startup device that corresponds to
which operating system I want to use -- System 7 or A/UX (via System
6.0.5) -- and then restart.

Not a problem.

++Tim

Tim Myers
Senior Software Consultant
Novell, Inc.
"Macintosh: the only GUI that doesn't SUCK."

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May16.105935.14623@agate.berkeley.edu>, dpassage@soda.berkeley.edu (David G. Paschich) writes:
> Will System 7 and A/UX coexist with eachother happily?  If not, why not, and
> when?  I've got A/UX on order (my "dealer" is the UC Berkeley student sales
> program, who apparently don't know the difference between a CD-ROM and the
> Led Zeppelin boxed set), and want to know if it's worthwhile to install
> System 7 on my Mac now or if I'll have to rip it all out when I finally get
> my copy of A/UX.
>
> Or here's a possible scenario:  System 7 on my internal drive with A/UX in a
> Unix partition and System 6 in a MacOS partition on my external drive.
> Will it work?  Will I be able to easily switch-boot among the three?  Or is
> there a better solution?

The default for setting up A/UX is to have a small (1-2MB) partition with
the Mac OS (6.0.5 for A/UX 2.0, 6.0.7 for A/UX 2.0.1) for booting in preparation
to running A/UX.  You can't boot A/UX directly -- you need to start an
application called "A/UX Startup" (formerly SASH) to launch A/UX.  So the
answer to your question is yes.  Install System 7 on your internal drive
and install System 6.0.x and A/UX on your external drive (or vice versa).

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:   G.AUSTIN3                  | AOnline:   GAustin                    |