[net.followup] Beer and Auto fatalities

In article <119@aloha1.UUCP> white@aloha1.UUCP (Ray White) writes:
>Can't buy beer?....none of my high-school buddies ever had trouble
>getting beer....one of them always had a "big brother" to help them
>get it.  By your reasoning removing the drinking age laws will reduce
>the use of other (illegal) drugs. That maybe so, but only to a very
>small extent, and the cost incurred (alcohalizm, increased automobile
>fatalities, etc.) is certainly not worth it.

I cannot comment on much of this, for human actions have long
puzzled me.  I have, however, wondered rather often whether
*lowering* the legal drinking age might have the same effect on
accident statistics as *raising* it.  (Raising the drinking age
has been fairly well demonstrated to reduce alcohol-related automobile
accidents.)  It may be that many teenagers are experimenting with
both as soon as convenient, and that they do not realise what a
terrible combination that makes.

[.signature territory, and an unrelated topic:]

>"No pain....No gain" - Arnold

A popular misconception, this should rather be rendered `no effort,
no gain'---or in its better-known form, `nothing ventured, nothing
gained'.  (On the other hand, you may have a different definition
of `pain'.)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris