[comp.unix.aux] trouble with telnet

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) (05/16/91)

What causes telnet and ftp to announce "connect...host is unreachable"?

An Asante ethernet card was installed without incident, and telnet
worked the first time it was tried but the session froze, forcing
a reboot.  Ping works on the local subnet reliably as does a loopback
test. Subsequent attempts to use telnet and ftp produce the "host
is unreachable" message.

Any ideas?

bob prohaska

aib@ornl.gov (Buddy Bland) (05/17/91)

In article <2831DDC4.5567@orion.oac.uci.edu>, rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:

>What causes telnet and ftp to announce "connect...host is unreachable"?
>
>An Asante ethernet card was installed without incident, and telnet
>worked the first time it was tried but the session froze, forcing
>a reboot.  Ping works on the local subnet reliably as does a loopback
>test. Subsequent attempts to use telnet and ftp produce the "host
>is unreachable" message.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>bob prohaska

Generally this is caused by not having a route defined to the network you
are trying to reach.  If the host you are trying to reach is not on the
same network or subnet, you must define a route with the "route add"
command.  You may need to define a default route where you send all packets
which are not on your local network.  This router will then forward the
packets to the proper destination.  Look in Chapter 7 of the "A/UX Network
System Admin" manual and at the man page for the route command for more
information.

-Buddy Bland
-Oak Ridge National Lab
-(615) 576-6727

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (05/28/91)

In <1991May17.122036.10011@cs.utk.edu> aib@ornl.gov (Buddy Bland) writes:

>If the host you are trying to reach is not on the
>same network or subnet, you must define a route with the "route add"
>command.  You may need to define a default route where you send all packets
>which are not on your local network.  This router will then forward the
>packets to the proper destination.  Look in Chapter 7 of the "A/UX Network
>System Admin" manual and at the man page for the route command for more
>information.

Note that the route command manipulates kernel tables directly, but that the
routed process (/etc/in.routed, set to "wait" in /etc/inittab on the CDROM
distribution of 2.0) doesn't see these changes. It is therefore a bad idea to
use both the routed and the route command. Note that netstat -r cheats and
shows you the kernel tables, NOT what the routed believes. Everybody ships the
same crass code, so don't blame Apple for this one!

I personally recommend not bothering with the routed at all, expecially if
there is only one way out to the big wide world: just use route to set a
default route by typing

    route add 0.0.0.0 ourgateway 1

where ourgateway is the name or IP address of your gateway to the outside
world. This could even replace the in.routed line in your inittab.

It is also in your best interests to participate in the Domain Name Service,
expecially if you have Internet access. The A/UX documentation on this is a
stright (but attributed) copy of the BSD documentation: they didn't even
change the references to /etc/rc.local (sigh).

PS. The route/routed source of confusion only really matters on machines which
are routers, e.g. those with more than one network interface. This includes
slip.
--

William Roberts                 Internet:  liam@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP:      liam@qmw-dcs.UUCP

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) (05/28/91)

Where does one put the "route add default" command so as to be sure it
has some eab or /etc/rc has no detectablet 3 minutes

bob prohaska

The mac somehow knows about the default route on bootup, but "forgets"

tony@tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz (Tony Cooper) (05/28/91)

In article <2841628D.28272@orion.oac.uci.edu>,
rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:

|> Where does one put the "route add default" command so as to be sure it
|> has some eab or /etc/rc has no detectablet 3 minutes

I don't understand your last line above. Too much of the old medicinal
brandy eh?

There is a place in one of the rc files for local stuff. I think it's at the
end of /etc/sysinitrc. I always forget the names of those rc files. I do a
ls -l /etc/*rc* to get them all. Then do a tail on them to read the last
lines and you will see a comment that says local modifications should go
here.

At the two internet sites that I have had my Mac installed, the network
administrators' instructions have been "do not run in.routed". It can get
networks confused. I think it is for primitive types of network or
something. The default is for it to be turned on. Turn it off in
/etc/inittab and you will add one less degree of confusion to your
net setup.

Tony
disclaimer: The above might not be true.

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May28.104442.2025@am.dsir.govt.nz> sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz writes:
}
}In article <2841628D.28272@orion.oac.uci.edu>,
}rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
}|>
}|> Where does one put the "route add default" command so as to be sure it
}|> has some eab or /etc/rc has no detectablet 3 minutes
}
}I don't understand your last line above. Too much of the old medicinal
}brandy eh?
}
} /* stuff about where to put route deleted 'cause I felt like it :) */
}
}At the two internet sites that I have had my Mac installed, the network
}administrators' instructions have been "do not run in.routed". It can get
}networks confused. I think it is for primitive types of network or
}something.

It's better for large/complex networks to have your workstations run in.routed
with the "-q" flag. In this case, in.routed just LISTENS for routing info and
doesn't send any. Using this method, you have just a few big machines on your
net handle routing and the rest just follow them. This saves a LOT of headaches
and problems.

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.4
     jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"If we increase the size of the penguin until it is the same height as a man
 and then compare the relative brain size, we know find that the penguin's
 brain is still smaller. But, and this is the point, it is larger than it WAS!"

pst@okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Traina) (05/29/91)

It is useless to run in.routed if your routers do not generate RIP
information.

At Stanford (one of the sites Tony was mentioning), our routers will
communicate with each other (not using RIP though), but each subnet
only has one router, so people are instructed to just create a default
route to their router.

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (05/29/91)

In <5439@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski)
writes:

>It's better for large/complex networks to have your workstations run in.routed
>with the "-q" flag. In this case, in.routed just LISTENS for routing info and
>doesn't send any. Using this method, you have just a few big machines on your
>net handle routing and the rest just follow them.

You don't need the -q flag if you only have one network interface (LocalTalk
doesn't count for this), since routed knows that it doesn't have anything
useful to tell other people under these circumstances.

The official way to get a default route when using routed is to put an entry
for the default route in the /etc/gateways file: we too find that this tends
to time out, so my inclination is to use "route add defaults yourgateway 1" to
set up a permanent default route, then used routed to listen for local
information.

The correct place to put this is /etc/inittab: something like

net4:2:once:/usr/etc/route add 0.0.0.0 routehost 1  # force default route

If the routed is useful to you, then also have the standard inittab line

net4:2:wait:/etc/in.routed      # set to "wait" for routing

The order in which you do these is irrelevant.
--

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (05/29/91)

In article <PST.91May28163950@ack.Berkeley.EDU> pst@okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Traina) writes:
}It is useless to run in.routed if your routers do not generate RIP
}information.
}
}At Stanford (one of the sites Tony was mentioning), our routers will
}communicate with each other (not using RIP though), but each subnet
}only has one router, so people are instructed to just create a default
}route to their router.

Of course, this is correct and maybe I made my "use in.routed -q" statement
rather quickly. I did infer, however, that in the method I described, that
at least one machine on your net (a gateway) "handle" the routing, which
basically implies that it broadcast RIP (Routing Information Protocol) to
all the other machines which are running in.routed quietly and just listening
for info...    -whew-

When I used to use static routing, I added the required "route add" statement
in /etc/rc right after I mounted the file systems... this was needed since my
/usr partition was (and still is) a separate file system.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)