[comp.unix.aux] Problems with network routing under 2.0.1

beser@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Nick Beser) (06/03/91)

This past week I upgraded my A/UX 2.0 system with the upgrade from
aux.support.apple.com. The upgrade went very smoothly, however after
upgrade was complete (postinstall), I was no longer able to get
routing information through my gateway computer. I saw some messages
in this group concerning adding an explicit routing command, and tried it.
The result was that I can reach the other unix computers that are attached
directly under the gateway, but can not go through the gateway to
the outside world. Has anyone else on the net had this problem, and can
you suggest where else I might look? I am using the Shiva drivers, which
Shiva is no longer supporting. I called them, but other than taking my
name and number they could not help (claimed that they do not have
any experience with A/UX)

Please respond either on this news group, or directly at my e-mail address.

Thanks,

Nick Beser
beser@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Applied Physics Lab
Laurel, MD.
(301) 792-5000 ext 4476

ron@afsg.apple.com (Ron Flax) (06/04/91)

In article <433@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU> beser@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Nick Beser) writes:
>upgrade was complete (postinstall), I was no longer able to get
>routing information through my gateway computer. I saw some messages
>in this group concerning adding an explicit routing command, and tried it.

It sounds like you are trying to use A/UX as an IP forwarder.  If that
is so then read on... otherwise hit 'n' now.

In A/UX 2.0.1 IP forwarding has been turned off in the kernel by
default whereas it was turned on in 2.0 and previous releases.  To turn
it back on do the following:

afsg.root 16# adb -w -k /unix /dev/kmem
a.out file = /unix (COFF format)
core file = /dev/kmem
ready
ipforwarding?D
ipforwarding:   0
ipforwarding?W 1
ipforwarding:   0x0             =       0x1
$w
$q
afsg.root 17#

The reason IP forwarding was turned off is because some RFC says that
"hosts" should not arbitrarily become "routers".  With /etc/in.routed
and IP forwarding turned on that's what can happen.

Hope this helps.

--
Ron Flax
ron@afsg.apple.com