[comp.unix.aux] emacs under A/UX

pst@ack.Stanford.EDU (Paul Traina) (12/05/90)

A long time ago I fixed this bug, but I'm at a complete loss to remember
what it was or what needed hacking... someone?

Just recently I built emacs-18.55 from scratch using the patches found on
apple.com.  (built under A/UX v2)  I found the same bug that used to plague
emacs under earlier versions of A/UX (1.0/1.1) and that is that it seems
to have problems communicating with subprocesses.  I think it's probably
a broken understanding of the PTY driver, but has anyone already identified
and fixed this bug?

example of bug:

	M-x shell

does not work.  You never get a prompt, input never seems to make it to
the shell.  The shell process DOES start up, but it's controlling tty is
"?" rather than a pty.

Paul

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (12/05/90)

pst@ack.Stanford.EDU (Paul Traina) writes:

>Just recently I built emacs-18.55 from scratch using the patches found on
>apple.com.  (built under A/UX v2)  I found the same bug that used to plague
>emacs under earlier versions of A/UX (1.0/1.1) and that is that it seems
>to have problems communicating with subprocesses.  I think it's probably
>a broken understanding of the PTY driver, but has anyone already identified
>and fixed this bug?

  I believe so.  Check out the patches for Emacs 18.55 available on
afsg.apple.com.  I've been using those for some time with no problems on
handling subprocesses on ttys.   Alas, I don't know exactly what the problem
was, but Ron Flax at afsg.apple.com fixed it.  (As I recall, the patches for
Emacs on apple.com had other problems as well, which were all solved by
going to the Ron Flax-patched version.)

>example of bug:

>	M-x shell

>does not work.  You never get a prompt, input never seems to make it to
>the shell.  The shell process DOES start up, but it's controlling tty is
>"?" rather than a pty.

   Hmm.  Well, it looks like the shell is still created with controlling tty
as '?', but the shell prompt appears as normal, and interaction with the
shell works just fine.  I've got a shell running in the other window right
now as I write this.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec5.013041.7970@servalan.uucp> rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:

>   >	M-x shell
>   >does not work.

I FTP'ed emacs, and sometimes I have problems with M-X shell. I *always*
have problems with M-x grep.

I "solved" this by either using
	emacs -nw
or if I am using X11R4:
	emacs </dev/null &

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (06/07/91)

What is the bare minimum I need to run Emacs under A/UX?  I thought
the binary from aux.support.apple.com would be all I need, so I got
aux.patches/unsupport/2.0/emacs-18.55.bi from a.s.a.c.  The file was
compressed, so I uncompressed it.  After uncompressing it and trying
to run it, I got a core dump.  Did I get the right file, and if so,
what am I doing wrong?  Since the source is so big I'd rather not try
to recompile it.
--
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.