[comp.unix.aux] Problem logging in via a modem

dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (06/06/91)

I've had a strange problem the last couple of days:  I can't login to
my system (IIfx w/ A/UX 2.0.1) via the modem.  I'll get the banner and
the login: prompt.  I type the userid and hit return.  Instead of a
password: prompt, the system drops the carrier.  I haven't changed
anything, and I can still login on the console.  Any ideas?  I've tried
a few different userids that I've setup on the system.
--
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.143042.7@skitzo.csc.ti.com>, dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
> I've had a strange problem the last couple of days:  I can't login to
> my system (IIfx w/ A/UX 2.0.1) via the modem.  I'll get the banner and
> the login: prompt.  I type the userid and hit return.  Instead of a
> password: prompt, the system drops the carrier.  I haven't changed
> anything, and I can still login on the console.  Any ideas?  I've tried
> a few different userids that I've setup on the system.

I finally made a DIN-8-to-DIN-8 cable so I could use my Mac Plus as a
terminal to test this problem.  Even direct connect, the problem still
exists.  I've messed with /etc/inittab and used stty to change the
settings all around.  I've now seen that after I enter the userid, the
process dies/gets killed/enters a black hole and a new getty process is
spawned.  I completely out of ideas.  Three people have sent hints (and
they know who they are, thanks!), but no solutions as of yet.