[comp.unix.aux] Stand-alone A/UX TCP/IP

sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) (06/09/91)

Greetings, earthlings.

I'd like to run MacX under A/UX but without physically being
connected to an ethernet.

If I do

newconfig nonet noappletalk

then MacX won't start, as there are no TCP/IP services in the
kernal (it appears).

If I just unplug the ethernet, things work fine, except that
I get error messages about my net being down (surprise, suprise :-).

Is there some way to tell the kernal that I have a net, but it is
down?

On a similar note, doesn't this imply that I can't run MacX under
A/UX unless I have an ethernet card in? Or can I, under MacTCP?

Thanks,

Greg Sorensen
sorensen@athena.mit.edu

sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.004545.726@athena.mit.edu> I wrote:

>I'd like to run MacX under A/UX but without physically being
>connected to an ethernet.

I got three responses (thanks everyone!):

From: Greg Kilcup <kilcup@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>
One way to do it is to put the slip stuff in your kernel,
and configure the sl0 interface.

From: murphy@hao.ucar.edu (Murphy)
The trick is to have a kernel with at least bnet, but to place
your machine name on the first line of the /etc/hosts file i.e.
the line that has the loopback address. Keep the loop synonyms
in place, but then your machine name becomes an additional synonym.

From: abm@oxydol.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms)
Greg, you can do 'ifconfig ae6 down', (subst. your ethernet interface
from netstat -i output for 'ae6') to turn off the ethernet.  You can
also do 'newconfig noae6' to get rid of the ethernet board driver.
If you have MacX >= 1.1, and A/UX >= 2.0.1, you can use the loop
device, lo0, which is 127.0.0.1 to connect clients to MacX.

>On a similar note, doesn't this imply that I can't run MacX under
>A/UX unless I have an ethernet card in? Or can I, under MacTCP?

MacX always uses MacTCP even under A/UX.