[comp.unix.aux] X11 & Color

beard@ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) (06/02/91)

I have X11R4 for A/UX 2.x and am having difficulty getting it to automatically
come up in color.  The "Getting Started..." manual suggests a file by the
name of .X11 to change the default "X" command to something like:

X -screen 0 -depth 8

From the console emulator I can type this in and it works, so I have that
as my default login and I've aliased X to that, but I would like to know
what others are doing about this.

On other fronts, what hooks does X have in it for screen savers?  I'm growing
quite board with the default X and blanker screen savers.  'Twould be nice
to have flying toasters...

--
//  Patrick C. Beard, Software Engineer, Berkeley Systems, Inc.
//                    "Heroes of technology."

beser@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Nick Beser) (06/10/91)

beard@ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) writes:

>I have X11R4 for A/UX 2.x and am having difficulty getting it to automatically
>come up in color.  The "Getting Started..." manual suggests a file by the
>name of .X11 to change the default "X" command to something like:

>X -screen 0 -depth 8

>From the console emulator I can type this in and it works, so I have that
>as my default login and I've aliased X to that, but I would like to know
>what others are doing about this.

If I start my system by selecting X11 from the change session menu, it comes
up in Black and White. Is there any way of getting X11 to come up in color
without selecting console emulator? I have the file .x11 defined the way
Pat Beard suggested, but that does not seem to help. The document suggest
that if I have the file .x11 present in my login directory, the X-11 system
will execute the file during startup.

Nick Beser
beser@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Applied Physics Lab
Johns Hopkins University

liam@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (06/11/91)

In <443@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU> beser@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Nick Beser) writes:

>beard@ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) writes:

>>I have X11R4 for A/UX 2.x and am having difficulty getting it to
automatically
>>come up in color.  The "Getting Started..." manual suggests a file by the
>>name of .X11 to change the default "X" command to something like:

>>X -screen 0 -depth 8

>>From the console emulator I can type this in and it works, so I have that
>>as my default login and I've aliased X to that, but I would like to know
>>what others are doing about this.

First stop, get the right filename: the best way to do this is to look in
/mac/lib/sessiontypes, find the one called x11 and do a "strings" on it (you
could use ResEdit, but my way is quicker). When I do this, I get the result

% strings x11
Macintosh
APPL????
X11 is Apple's adaptation of the industry standard X Window System for A/UX.
X1
1 is a pure X environment, and no Macintosh compatability is provided.
/usr/bin/X11/startx
.X11
STR#
%

So your choice of ".X11" in your home directorry is correct for the override.
The other filename, /usr/bin/X11/startx, is the one used if you don't have
your own override file - if you look at that you'll find it is somewhat more
complicated than just "X -screen 0 -depth 8"

I changed ours so that it will use colour if colour is possible, but default
to black and white otherwise: this is done by the simple change shown in the
following diff.

*** startx      Tue Jun 11 16:59:03 1991
--- startx.orig Tue Jun 11 16:59:35 1991
***************
*** 17,23
  sysclientrc=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
  sysserverrc=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc
  clientargs=""
! serverargs="-screen 0 -depth 8 "

  if [ -f $userclientrc ]; then
      clientargs=$userclientrc

--- 17,23 -----
  sysclientrc=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
  sysserverrc=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc
  clientargs=""
! serverargs=""

  if [ -f $userclientrc ]; then
      clientargs=$userclientrc
--

% William Roberts                 Internet:  liam@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
% Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP:      liam@qmw-dcs.UUCP

sukes@eng.umd.edu (Tasuki Hirata) (06/12/91)

In article <3135@redstar.dcs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:
>In <443@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU> beser@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Nick Beser) writes:
>>beard@ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) writes:
>
>>>I have X11R4 for A/UX 2.x and am having difficulty getting it to
>automatically
>>>come up in color.  The "Getting Started..." manual suggests a file by the
>>>name of .X11 to change the default "X" command to something like:
>
>>>X -screen 0 -depth 8
>
>So your choice of ".X11" in your home directorry is correct for the override.
>The other filename, /usr/bin/X11/startx, is the one used if you don't have
>your own override file - if you look at that you'll find it is somewhat more
>complicated than just "X -screen 0 -depth 8"

I haven't tried this on A/UX distribution of X11R4, but
I thought the correct place to muck around with the server
stuff was in .xserverrc.

On the suns, I have

X -auth $HOME/.Xauthority -zaphod -ld 4096

in my .xserverrc.

So this should probably work for A/UX.....

#!/bin/sh
if [ "$COLOR" != "" ]; then
	echo "Color X server..." > /dev/console
	X -screen 0 -depth 8
else
	echo "B/W X server..." > /dev/console
fi

--
| Tasuki Hirata (sukes@eng.umd.edu) | - This page intentionally left blank - |
| UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!sukes     | 					     |