[comp.unix.aux] How to install Emacs?

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (06/09/91)

Maybe I was spoiled by Cnews, nn, or by the various GNU C, GDB, G++ binaries
on wuarchive. But when I took the latest GNU EMACS from wuarchive, I was
very unpleasntly surprised. While the software appears to work with A/UX
the installation instructions, which consist of one incorrect line, are
enough to make me want to tear out my hair. (Wait, why should I suffer?
I'll tear out the author's hair...) The instructions say, "type make in the
emacs directory." This does _NOT_ work. Perhaps if there were some indication
as to what the name of that directory were supposed to be, it might?

I understand that this stuff was provided free, w/o warrantee, etc. But if
you're going to claim that things work a certain way is it too much to ask
that they in fact do work that way?

After messing around with the original GNU documentation for a while I was
sort of able to make things work. But I'm not pleased with the results.
I have a typical /usr/local tree containing bin, lib, and src. But emacs
doesn't seem to want to fit into this mold. I wound up with the entire emacs
distribution in /usr/local/lib, which is not right.

The bottom line is, I don't want to become an emacs expert. I'd just like
to get the binaries working. I'd like to throw out the sources once I'm done.
How can I do this, starting from the kit I got from wuarchive?

BTW, the version I finally managed to make work doesn't support vt100 arrow
keys. (vi does.) Anyone know how I can enable this?

Thanks,
---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
alexis@panix.com
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (06/10/91)

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>Maybe I was spoiled by Cnews, nn, or by the various GNU C, GDB, G++ binaries
>on wuarchive. But when I took the latest GNU EMACS from wuarchive, I was
>very unpleasntly surprised. While the software appears to work with A/UX

Well, I haven't used the GNU Emacs from wuarchive, but instead the one from
afsg.apple.com.  But that one installed correctly.

>I'll tear out the author's hair...) The instructions say, "type make in the
>emacs directory." This does _NOT_ work. Perhaps if there were some indication
>as to what the name of that directory were supposed to be, it might?

Ok, when you untarred the stuff, you should have gotten a directory named
something like emacs-18.55, with subdirectories named "src", "etc", "info",
"lisp", and a few others I can't recall.  After checking the config files in
emacs-18.55/src, cd to emacs-18.55 and type "make" and it should work (the
Makefile in emacs-18.55/ basically does nothing except (cd src;make) and (cd
etc; make)).  If it didn't, yell at the guy who put it there, as it does
in the standard Emacs distrib. and in Ron Flax's A/UX port on afsg.apple.com.

>After messing around with the original GNU documentation for a while I was
>sort of able to make things work. But I'm not pleased with the results.
>I have a typical /usr/local tree containing bin, lib, and src. But emacs
>doesn't seem to want to fit into this mold. I wound up with the entire emacs
>distribution in /usr/local/lib, which is not right.

Ok, lets say you want all the Emacs stuff in a directory "emacs-18.55" of
/usr/local/lib.  Set the libdir variable in the top-level Makefile to
"/usr/local/lib/emacs-18.55" and make away.  (This *should* automatically
update the paths.h and paths.el config files, but it's been a while since
I've done this...)  Then the make install should copy over the etc, lisp,
and info directories over to /usr/local/lib/emacs-18.55 and the Emacs binary
to wherever you specified (usually /usr/local/bin).  You can then blow
away your original Emacs source tree.  There is some stuff in the remaining
directories (i.e. in "/usr/local/lib/emacs-18.55"), you can blow away if
necessary: the etc directory will have a few source files still in it which
you can nuke, and if you're not going to be doing any local hacks to the
Emacs-Lisp code, you can ditch all the ".el" files in the lisp directory
that don't also exist there in compiled form (with a ".elc" extension).

>BTW, the version I finally managed to make work doesn't support vt100 arrow
>keys. (vi does.) Anyone know how I can enable this?

Hmm.  You running from inside Xterm?  By default it looks like it only enables
the vt100 arrow keys if the TERM variable actually says "vt100".  (Actually,
it looks in the lisp/term directory for a file of Lisp code named after your
terminal, i.e. "vt100.el").  Simply make a link between lisp/term/vt100.el
and lisp/term/xterms.el (or whatever your TERM variable is set to) and your
VT100 arrow keys should be back.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

gene@segue.segue.com (Gene Hightower) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.082617.13976@panix.uucp> alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>While the software appears to work with A/UX
>the installation instructions, which consist of one incorrect line, are
>enough to make me want to tear out my hair. (Wait, why should I suffer?
>I'll tear out the author's hair...) The instructions say, "type make in the
                   ^^^^^^
The author in this case is Richard Stallman.

>emacs directory." This does _NOT_ work. Perhaps if there were some indication
>as to what the name of that directory were supposed to be, it might?
>
>I understand that this stuff was provided free, w/o warrantee, etc. But if
>you're going to claim that things work a certain way is it too much to ask
>that they in fact do work that way?

I don't think that Richard Stallman claims that any software he writes
works on A/UX or any type of Macintosh.  I could be wrong, I don't
speak for Mr. Stallman, I don't even know the man, but I have read his
views about Apple and the Macintosh, and I would assume A/UX also, as
it runs only on Macintosh computers.

In fact:

  "We are boycotting Apple because of Apple's efforts to take away
  our freedom to write compatible imitations of existing software.
  If you value your freedom to write such programs, we urge you
  not to buy from Apple, not to develop software for Apple, and
  certainly not to accept a job with Apple."

is a quote from the MACHINES file in the GNU emacs distribution.

As for installing emacs, I have installed versions 18.55 and 18.56 on
both System V-ish (interactive 386/ix) and BSD-ish (SunOS) systems
without too much trouble.

I can understand your frustration when things don't work right for
you, but flaming the author makes no sense in this case.

--
++
Gene Hightower    gene@segue.com    aero!segue!gene

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (06/12/91)

@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

   >I'll tear out the author's hair...) The instructions say, "type make in the
   >emacs directory." This does _NOT_ work. Perhaps if there were some

It does. If you have X windows installed. And install with install.sysv.

   I can understand your frustration when things don't work right for
   you, but flaming the author makes no sense in this case.

Maybe he meant the author of the one-line message.

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (06/12/91)

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>Maybe I was spoiled by Cnews, nn, or by the various GNU C, GDB, G++ binaries
>on wuarchive. But when I took the latest GNU EMACS from wuarchive, I was
>very unpleasntly surprised. While the software appears to work with A/UX
>the installation instructions, which consist of one incorrect line, are
>enough to make me want to tear out my hair. (Wait, why should I suffer?
>I'll tear out the author's hair...) The instructions say, "type make in the
>emacs directory." This does _NOT_ work. Perhaps if there were some indication
>as to what the name of that directory were supposed to be, it might?

Sorry about this; I did _not_ do the emacs port on wuarchive. I probably
should copy over Ron Flax's port from afsg.apple.com; it does work
correctly. I've done a port (based on the afsg version) of 18.57;
unfortunately, I'm currently not in a position to get it out (hopefully
soon, though - but I said that a couple months ago :-().

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1991 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (06/12/91)

In article <7796@segue.segue.com> gene@segue.segue.com (Gene Hightower) writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.082617.13976@panix.uucp> alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>While the software appears to work with A/UX
>>the installation instructions, which consist of one incorrect line, are
>>enough to make me want to tear out my hair. (Wait, why should I suffer?
>>I'll tear out the author's hair...) The instructions say, "type make in the
>                   ^^^^^^
>The author in this case is Richard Stallman.

Oh, please. The author of those non-installation non-instructions is whoever
did that (otherwise seemingly decent) port. RMS' documentation is a lot longer
than one line, though it's not a perfect model of clarity either. On the
other hand, at least I was able to get it running after reading his docs.

>[long and endlessly-rehashed stuff about GNU's distaste for Apple repeated
>here yet again]

I feel this tremendous urge to flame this guy, yet-

>I can understand your frustration when things don't work right for
>you, but flaming the author makes no sense in this case.

...he seems to be well-intentioned. So I'll limit it to my annoyance as
already expressed.

For the record, we all know all about RMS and GNU and Apple.

The Emacs I was talking about, which was FTP'd from wuarchive (as I said),
is supposed to be plug'n'play, and it's not. That's the cause of the tone
of my previous post.

Anyway, I suspect Richard T. told me all I need to know. I'll have to get
to it tomorrow...

---