[comp.unix.aux] Need replacement Commcard installation

rich@grayhawk.uucp (Richard Harms) (06/04/91)

Hello,

I need some help, the disk with the driver for my Taniwha Systems Commcard
can't be read anymore... I had problems the first time I installed it, but
eventually got it to read, and then forgot about it... now that I need it
again, it appears as though it is totally unreadable... Can someone
_please_ send me another copy if I send you the disks and return postage?
(The latest version which is a/ux 2.0.1 friendly... 2.4 I beleive).

-rh

Richard R. Harms           * Internet: r-harms@grayhawk.rent.com
1217 24th, Suite 49        *           rh3091a@acad.drake.edu
Des Moines, Iowa 50311     *     UUCP: {...}!{rutgers!bobsbox}!grayhawk!rich
   Voice: 515/277-5439     *   Bitnet: rh3091a@drake.bitnet
    A/UX: 515/277-6753     *    Drake: dunix::rh3091a     AppleLink: D2656
     Fax: 515/884-2736     *  AOnline: Grayhawk

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun3.183433.6480@grayhawk.uucp> rich@grayhawk.uucp (Richard Harms) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I need some help, the disk with the driver for my Taniwha Systems Commcard
>can't be read anymore... I had problems the first time I installed it, but
>eventually got it to read, and then forgot about it... now that I need it
>again, it appears as though it is totally unreadable... Can someone
>_please_ send me another copy if I send you the disks and return postage?
>(The latest version which is a/ux 2.0.1 friendly... 2.4 I beleive).

The correct version for A/UX 2.0 and 2.01 is CommCard A/UX version 2.5.2,
upgrades are free, I've popped one in the mail for you - if anyone else
needs one just let me know

	Paul Campbell
	Taniwha Systems

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P

My son is now 2 months old, in that time he has doubled his weight,
if he does this every 2 months for the next year he will weigh over 300lbs.

chuck@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun3.183433.6480@grayhawk.uucp>, rich@grayhawk.uucp (Richard Harms) writes:
> Hello,
>
> I need some help, the disk with the driver for my Taniwha Systems Commcard
> can't be read anymore... I had problems the first time I installed it, but
> eventually got it to read, and then forgot about it... now that I need it
> again, it appears as though it is totally unreadable... Can someone
> _please_ send me another copy if I send you the disks and return postage?
> (The latest version which is a/ux 2.0.1 friendly... 2.4 I beleive).

In a similar vein, does Taniwha still make this card? Does anyone market a
A/UX compatible serial card? I've been searching for some time for a NuBus
serial card compatible with A/UX, and judging by the response, no such thing
exists.

Chuck Shotton                 Internet:   cshotton@girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (06/09/91)

In article <0D010010.ay6s2g@brain.UUCP> chuck@brain.UUCP writes:

>In a similar vein, does Taniwha still make this card? Does anyone market a
>A/UX compatible serial card? I've been searching for some time for a NuBus
>serial card compatible with A/UX, and judging by the response, no such thing
>exists.

No, we had to stop, last time we went out to build some cards the costs
had gone through the roof (we're a small company so we can't afford the NRE
to build off-shore or to do large production runs) so we decided to
quit while we were ahead.

We do still support the CommCard, the drivers you used under 2.0 are the
same ones we ship for 2.0.1 (ie no upgrade required). This is CommCard A/UX
2.5.2 - if anyone needs an upgrade drop me a line

	Paul Campbell
	Taniwha Systems
--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P

Tom Metzger's White Ayrian Resistance has been enjoined to stop selling Nazi
Bart Simpson t-shirts - Tom of course got it wrong, Bart is yellow, not white.

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (06/09/91)

It's a real shame that Paul can't sell the card any more. However, we're
not totally sunk. Digiboard, which sells lots of comm boards for dos and
'x86 unix machines, has a NuBus serial board for the Mac in 4 and 8 port
versions. I have one an I'm planning to install it very shortly- probably
tomorrow. I'll report on it when I've had it running a while. (If I like
it you can be sure it's good- we _really_ stress serial ports on this box.)

The board supports A/UX with A/UX drivers, MacOS with Comm Toolbax, and I
think it will spoof serial ports A and B under MacOS. Its only failing is
that it doesn't yet support MacOS inside A/UX.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
alexis@panix.com
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

mann@intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) (06/11/91)

In article <0D010010.ay6s2g@brain.UUCP> chuck@brain.UUCP writes:

>In a similar vein, does Taniwha still make this card? Does anyone market a
>A/UX compatible serial card? I've been searching for some time for a NuBus
>serial card compatible with A/UX, and judging by the response, no such thing
>exists.

There are several NuBus serial cards with A/UX support. I bought a DigiBoard
Nu8i card. The driver shipped with it was a little buggy, but their tech
support seems quite good, and I'm waiting on a new driver now (they e-mailed
it to me the other day).

The Nu8i eight-port card, or the Nu4i four-port card will also solve some
problems with A/UX. First, it supports both modem control and flow control,
unlike the built-in ports, so that you can use a Telebit with auto-baud
rate conversion. Secondly, it provides Berkeley-like "cu" devices (/dev/cu*)
which can be used by uucp etc. to call out without having to do a
stty -n /dev/tty* -modem first.

One thing to watch out for - if you need synchronous ports (two of the ports
can be configured for this) then get the Nu8i+ which has a DMA controller.
None of the promotional material I got mentioned this.

|  Jeff Mann  Inter/Access Artists' Computer Centre, Toronto  [416] 535-8601 |
| ...uunet!mnetor!intacc!mann   intacc!mann@nexus.yorku.ca  mann@intacc.uucp |
|      The Matrix Artists' Computer Network BBS: [416] 535-7598 2400 8N1     |

merlyn@digibd.com (Merlyn LeRoy) (06/13/91)

Hello, I'm the guy who wrote/works on the DigiBoard Mac card...

Like Jeff said, the current A/UX driver (2.2.0) has a bug; Apple's
blurb for the latest A/UX device driver manual says the line
discipline changed, so normal use works, but if it has to bang
on the line for something (like TTYHOG is exceeded), it hangs.
If I'm lucky, I might only need to relink with the new libraries.
The new manual is also supposed to have documentation for Mac
OS serial devices under A/UX.  Alexis, I'll hold on to your
address, and I'll send you & Jeff (and anyone who asks)
a binhexed version of the new driver (just the 8K dcn.o file)

---
Brian Westley
DigiBoard
merlyn@digibd.com