[comp.unix.aux] A/UX and System 7

jc5e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan D. Cohen) (04/24/91)

Repeat of prior message (Title got lost in last one):

I am contemplating "coming aboard" the A/UX platform.  However, I would
like to know if A/UX will support/be compatible with System 7?  Does
A/UX run its own version of Multifinder, or does it "pick up" the
current (resident) Mac system?  Thanks in advance for any information (and
tolerance of my ignorance).

Jonathan Cohen

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (04/24/91)

In article <wc56Ube00Uh7I2elg7@andrew.cmu.edu> jc5e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan D. Cohen) writes:
>Repeat of prior message (Title got lost in last one):
>
>I am contemplating "coming aboard" the A/UX platform.  However, I would
>like to know if A/UX will support/be compatible with System 7?  Does
>A/UX run its own version of Multifinder, or does it "pick up" the
>current (resident) Mac system?  Thanks in advance for any information (and
>tolerance of my ignorance).

A/UX has it's own special version of MultiFinder, actually based a lot
on the MF 6.1b9 (the one used with SADE for instance). If you check
the additional menu entries like logout and CommandShell there was
a need for some additional functionality.

Now speaking about System 7, A/UX traps all kinds of A-line traps that
the apps and standalone code (inits, DAs, CDEVs...) trigger. Any System
7 specific traps and glue can't be handled by A/UX, i.e. it does
not understand for instance anything with the Edition Manager, and how
to route these calls.

I'm sure this question will pop up once a month, but I have done my
duty :-).

Kent Sandvik, MacDTS

--
Disclaimer: Private and personal activities on USENET, non-company sponsored

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (04/24/91)

In article <51916@apple.Apple.COM>, ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
> Now speaking about System 7, A/UX traps all kinds of A-line traps that
> the apps and standalone code (inits, DAs, CDEVs...) trigger. Any System
> 7 specific traps and glue can't be handled by A/UX, i.e. it does
> not understand for instance anything with the Edition Manager, and how
> to route these calls.
>
> I'm sure this question will pop up once a month, but I have done my
> duty :-).

Kent, here's a related question:  Will we be able to launch A/UX from
System 7.0 any time soon?
--
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.111305.454@skbat.csc.ti.com> dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:

>Kent, here's a related question:  Will we be able to launch A/UX from
>System 7.0 any time soon?

Eh, well... The sash needs a certain area of the memory reserved for
the tools ported/compiled with the cc compiler under A/UX, which as
a typical UNIX compiler produces memory location dependent code.

The dangerous area where the tools want to live starts from 0x9FC00 (or
about 639k for us decimal junkies). If any inits or other utilities
increase the system heap space above this line, then sash and the
tools will complain.

Yes, we are aware of this problem, it should be fixed with any of the
next major sash or A/UX releases hopefully.

Kent, the Persistent Friendly Object from Mars

--
Kent Sandvik, DTS junkie

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (04/27/91)

In comp.unix.aux, article <1991Apr24.111305.454@skbat.csc.ti.com>,
  dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
< In article <51916@apple.Apple.COM>, ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
< > Now speaking about System 7, A/UX traps all kinds of A-line traps that
< > the apps and standalone code (inits, DAs, CDEVs...) trigger. Any System
< > 7 specific traps and glue can't be handled by A/UX, i.e. it does
< > not understand for instance anything with the Edition Manager, and how
< > to route these calls.
< >
Hmmm, I thought the Edition Manager and things are just new A-line traps.
Shouldn't they get dispatched just fine?

The file system stuff or some of the manager fixes might be more hairy.
And of course you shouldn't play with the PMMU under A/UX...

< Kent, here's a related question:  Will we be able to launch A/UX from
< System 7.0 any time soon?

Personally, I think that's uninteresting; you can always shove a floppy into
the machine. A small system with sash and launch fits on an 800k floppy and
you can have the search path point back to your hard disk.

OK, let's say it's uninteresting when compared to being able to run System 7
under A/UX. I think I already said that that feature is necessary for some
people (including me ;-) so I'll spare you this time...

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) (04/28/91)

In article <62.+HS-@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In comp.unix.aux, article <1991Apr24.111305.454@skbat.csc.ti.com>,
>  dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
>< In article <51916@apple.Apple.COM>, ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
>< > Now speaking about System 7, A/UX traps all kinds of A-line traps that
>< > the apps and standalone code (inits, DAs, CDEVs...) trigger. Any System
>< > 7 specific traps and glue can't be handled by A/UX, i.e. it does
>< > not understand for instance anything with the Edition Manager, and how
>< > to route these calls.

>Hmmm, I thought the Edition Manager and things are just new A-line traps.
>Shouldn't they get dispatched just fine?

Well, the QuickDraw routines are just mapped to the ROM ones, so that's
no problem, but the RAM-based calls are more problematic. Remember, the
System running is not a standard MacOs release System. In many cases
the A-traps that are related to OS issues (memory, file I/O and so on)
are converted to A/UX UNIX system calls.

Depending on the scope of emulation provided from before some things
may or may not work as they are (like the ADSP driver which was not
officially supported in A/UX 2.0).

I'm not 100% sure about the Edition Manager and Apple Events, but I have
a feeling that the expanded event record will be something that
has to be taken care of (as well as support for core AppleEvents in the
MF, and a lot of other small System 7 issues).

Kent Sandvik
--
Kent Sandvik, DTS Rock Lobster
Disclaimer: I am not working with Public Relations.

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (04/28/91)

In article <62.+HS-@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:

   Hmmm, I thought the Edition Manager and things are just new A-line traps.
   Shouldn't they get dispatched just fine?

To where ?

The system software in version 7.0 resides in RAM (all the new stuff).
Porting this to A/UX might not be impossible, but it's most probably
not done in thirty seconds.

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (06/12/91)

I'd like to verify one point before we spend K$$ on some hardware.

Is it possible to have a single Mac (on E-net) be used as both an ftp
server *and* a mini-AppleTalk server using System 7's facilities (i.e.
without getting the AppleShare server)? I.e. can A/UX and Mac OS coexist
to that extent?

Please e-mail, unless you feel others may be interested.

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (06/12/91)

In comp.unix.aux, article <1991Jun12.093012.19785@panix.uucp>,
  alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
<
< Alternatively you can install CAP, which is free. But others can tell you
< more about that than I.
<
Or, if you are using Ethernet, you can use MacNFS to access the Mac. This
has the advantage that the files are stored in AppleSingle/AppleDouble
format, i.e. directly useable on the A/UX host, without either file
conversion (fcnvt) or patching CAP (which should be possible, but nobody
seems to have done it yet).

Has anybody compared the two in terms of network traffic and general timing?

--

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (06/12/91)

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:
>I'd like to verify one point before we spend K$$ on some hardware.
>
>Is it possible to have a single Mac (on E-net) be used as both an ftp
>server *and* a mini-AppleTalk server using System 7's facilities (i.e.
>without getting the AppleShare server)? I.e. can A/UX and Mac OS coexist
>to that extent?

No it's not. Not yet, anyway. A/UX won't run system 7 until 1992.

On the other hand you can accomplish what you want _right now_ with A/UX.
Just get a $200 copy of allShare. It's a really nifty non-dedicated Ashare
clone which can run uncer A/UX. It does _NOT_ implement the Ashare privs
though.

Alternatively you can install CAP, which is free. But others can tell you
more about that than I.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
alexis@panix.com
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (06/13/91)

<1991Jun12.093012.19785@panix.uucp> alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:

>>I'd like to verify one point before we spend K$$ on some hardware.

>>Is it possible to have a single Mac (on E-net) be used as both an ftp
>>server *and* a mini-AppleTalk server using System 7's facilities (i.e.
>>without getting the AppleShare server)? I.e. can A/UX and Mac OS coexist
>>to that extent?

>On the other hand you can accomplish what you want _right now_ with A/UX.
>Just get a $200 copy of allShare. It's a really nifty non-dedicated Ashare
>clone which can run uncer A/UX. It does _NOT_ implement the Ashare privs
>though.

>Alternatively you can install CAP, which is free. But others can tell you
>more about that than I.

Is this machine just going to be a _server_?  Does it maybe not yet run A/UX?
If so just leaving some free ftp server running under MacOS would be cheapest.
I dunno, it just strikes me that wedging AppleShare onto A/UX onto this poor
server Mac might be more difficult than just booting it with System 7.0 with
file sharing turned on and with NCSA Telnet in the Startup Folder and a line
in the config.tel file saying ftp=yes....  I mean, where is this guy going to
put the stuff to share with all the disk space allocated to A/UX and CAP?  ;-)

Well, it's just a thought I had....

Oh, and sorry about the .sig-to-news ratio, but our server bounces articles
with less new material than quoted material sometimes.  The .sig qualifies as
new material....  :-)

+----   C   o   n   r   a   d       C   .       N   o   b   i   l   i     ----+
|         Harvard University          | Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu |
|       Office for Info. Tech.        |           conrad@popvax.harvard.edu   |
|        Information Services         | BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA          |
|     Technical & User Services       |           CONRAD AT HARVSPHB          |
|        1730 Cambridge Street        | voice:    (617) 495-8554              |
+----    Cambridge, MA  02138         | fax:      (617) 495-0715          ----+