[comp.unix.aux] MINIX 1.5 vs A/UX

msh30@da.amdahl.com (Mark Hahn) (06/10/91)

Does anyone have experience with MINIX 1.5 by Andrew W. Tanenbaum
(marketed by Prentice Hall) for the Mac?  I would like to have a
Unix-like environment on my Mac, but the purchase price for A/UX
is a little steep for personal use.  MINIX 1.5 is only $127, which
is certainly appealing.  It sounds "too good to be true", though!

Mark Hahn
msh30@lagear.da.amdahl.com

buzz@apple.com (Steve Bollinger) (06/12/91)

In article <4b8B02UR08Eq01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>, msh30@da.amdahl.com (Mark Hahn) writes:

> Does anyone have experience with MINIX 1.5 by Andrew W. Tanenbaum
> (marketed by Prentice Hall) for the Mac?  I would like to have a
> Unix-like environment on my Mac, but the purchase price for A/UX
> is a little steep for personal use.  MINIX 1.5 is only $127, which
> is certainly appealing.  It sounds "too good to be true", though!

Yea, I have a whole term of experience.  You don't want it.  It bites.
Crashes when you move the mouse too much (its VBL unrolls the stack frame
to kick processes out when they exceed their quota and the mouse VBL
interferes with it).  Anyway, its skanky, and you don't want it.

See if you can get your hands on a copy of MacMach.  Its free (sort of).
It doesn't have the bells and whistles A/UX does, but it runs faster and is
pretty nifty overall.

-Steve

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (06/13/91)

>> Does anyone have experience with MINIX 1.5 by Andrew W. Tanenbaum
>> (marketed by Prentice Hall) for the Mac?  I would like to have a
>> Unix-like environment on my Mac, but the purchase price for A/UX
>> is a little steep for personal use.  MINIX 1.5 is only $127, which
>> is certainly appealing.  It sounds "too good to be true", though!
>
>Yea, I have a whole term of experience.  You don't want it.  It bites.
>Crashes when you move the mouse too much (its VBL unrolls the stack frame
>to kick processes out when they exceed their quota and the mouse VBL
>interferes with it).  Anyway, its skanky, and you don't want it.

Yes, I agree.  MacMinix is a nice concept, but v1.5 has a lot of problems.
They are working on fixing the many Mac related bugs it in, but back in
February I was told "two weeks".  Ummmm...  In short, I purchased it back
in September and have gotten little use out of it since due to its many
bugs...

Ray