[net.followup] The mathematics of drugs

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (09/28/86)

I don't know an exact figure, but I think five dollars would be a reasonable
guess as to the cost of a week's supply of heroin for a typical addict if
produced and sold at cost by the govt. here in the United States.  As things
presently stand, a DAY's supply runs $200 or $300 for many of them, and they
deal at twenty percent fences i.e. they have to steal $1000 worth of goods
at least to get that $200.  Times seven is $7000 minimum for a weekly figure;
five dollars worth of heroin is being converted into a bare minimum of $7000
worth of crime weekly per addict.  Times the number of such idiots running
around.  All of this amounts to one hell of a price to pay for a double
standard.  The U.S. Mayors' Council has repeatedly stated that 70% of big-city
crime would vanish overnight if heroin were legalized.

My solution: legalize heroin or at least provide free sources to addicts, no
questions asked,  legalize one or two of the designer drugs which are (relat-
ively) harmless such as marijuana and cocaine, and keep the real Jeckyl/Hyde
formulas such as lsd and pcp banned.  And have autos de fe for anyone caught
selling drugs of any sort to minors.

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (10/02/86)

In article <619@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>My solution: legalize heroin or at least provide free sources to addicts, no
>questions asked,  legalize one or two of the designer drugs which are (relat-
>ively) harmless such as marijuana and cocaine, and keep the real Jeckyl/Hyde
>formulas such as lsd and pcp banned.  And have autos de fe for anyone caught
>selling drugs of any sort to minors.

Marijuana and cocaine are not designer drugs.  Lsd is not as bad as
cocaine, so perhaps they should be exchanged in the above.
--
What's the difference between a duck?

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
		Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (10/02/86)

In article <619@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>I don't know an exact figure, but I think five dollars would be a reasonable
>guess as to the cost of a week's supply of heroin for a typical addict if
>produced and sold at cost by the govt. here in the United States.  As things
>presently stand, a DAY's supply runs $200 or $300 for many of them, and they
>deal at twenty percent fences i.e. they have to steal $1000 worth of goods
>at least to get that $200.  Times seven is $7000 minimum for ...

Gee, what a simple one dimensional problem, they steal from us.

Naughty people aren't they Ted, guess we should give them all the
heroin they want, huh?  And feed them, and pay their medical
expenses and cloth them and pay for their housing and utilities
and psychiatric problems, and their children and their spread of
social diseases.  Gee whiz, golly Ted, I hope none of these guys
will get an urge for a higher high!  Then what are you going to
do, add "crack" to the list?

>.. .   The U.S. Mayors' Council has repeatedly stated that 70% of big-city
>crime would vanish overnight if heroin were legalized.

Ted, I've got it,  why don't you run for mayor of Rockville.

>My solution: legalize heroin or at least provide free sources to addicts, no
>questions asked,  legalize one or two of the designer drugs which are (relat-
>ively) harmless such as marijuana and cocaine, and keep the real Jeckyl/Hyde
>formulas such as lsd and pcp banned.

Ha!  There you go, Ted, great campaign speech!  I kind of wondered
how you got your origins view point.

+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075                | FUSION |
| Prometheus II, Ltd.; College Park, MD 20740-0222        |  this  |
| {umcp-cs | seismo}!prometheus!pmk; pmk@prometheus.UUCP  | decade |
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+

soren@reed.UUCP (10/07/86)

In article <270@prometheus.UUCP> pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) writes:
>In article <619@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>> [numbers of dollars about drug abuse]

>Gee, what a simple one dimensional problem, they steal from us.

>Naughty people aren't they Ted, guess we should give them all the
>heroin they want, huh?  And feed them, and pay their medical
>expenses and cloth them and pay for their housing and utilities
>and psychiatric problems, and their children and their spread of
>social diseases.

Ah, you do understand aren't you.  If heroin were legal, then heroin
addicts wouldn't be criminals.  If heroin addicts could get stuff
for free, they wouldn't have to steal from pillars of the community
like you.  For a long time, the British had such a program and, I
recall, no serious heroin problem either.  (Any statistics, anyone?).

>>.. .   The U.S. Mayors' Council has repeatedly stated that 70% of big-city
>>crime would vanish overnight if heroin were legalized.

>Ted, I've got it,  why don't you run for mayor of Rockville.

No, Paul, why don't YOU run for mayor of YOUR town.  You seem to have a
much better grasp of the issues involved in running a big city than
either the U.S. Mayor's Council OR Ted does.