[comp.unix.aux] New A/UX 2.0.1 base kernel Available

antonio@Apple.COM (Antonio Ordonez) (06/22/91)

There is a new version of the A/UX 2.0.1 base kernel available
in aux.support.apple.com (130.43.6.2) in the directory
aux.patches/supported/2.0/newunix_2.0.1

From the README file

"This is a new version of the 2.0.1 base kernel which fixes the problems
 that have been reported with the Developer CD series."

Make sure you make a backup of the existing /etc/config.d/newunix file
before installing the new one.

Antonio

PS This is for A/UX 2.0.1 not 2.0 or 1.x

#include <disclaimer.h> 	/*  I'll think of a better one later  */
Antonio Ordonez				 	      amdahl \
Technical Communications/Direct Response Center	  pyramid!sun - apple!antonio
Apple Computer, Inc. (408) 996-1010		      decwrl /

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (06/23/91)

antonio@Apple.COM (Antonio Ordonez) writes:
>There is a new version of the A/UX 2.0.1 base kernel available
>in aux.support.apple.com (130.43.6.2) in the directory
>aux.patches/supported/2.0/newunix_2.0.1

Excellent. This is the kind of support we love to get.

>From the README file
>
>"This is a new version of the 2.0.1 base kernel which fixes the problems
> that have been reported with the Developer CD series."

This is not exactly the kind of support we love to get. _PLEASE_, tell us
what bugs are fixed. If it's something I don't need, like fixes to help out
MacX and MacTCP (just an example of something we don't use), there's no way
I'm going to upgrade- I've got 100 users here who would kill me if something
broke. On the other hand, if the fixes will cure the problems with Apple's
serial drivers or clist handling (more on that in another message), I'd
_walk_ to California to get it.

For all I know, there's detail in the README. But do you really want zillions
of people to FTP the whole thing over just to find out they didn't want it?

(Don't take this wrong. I'd rather have it up for FTP, with no explanations,
than not have it up at all. But the last 5% is so cheap to provide...)

BTW, how about putting up fcvnt from 2.0.0 until the 2.0.1 version is fixed?

Thanks,
---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
alexis@panix.com
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis