[comp.unix.aux] Mac OS won't run. Help!

tjferrar@mcs.drexel.edu (Jason Ferrara) (06/30/91)

Help! All of the sudden the Mac environment won't run on my machine. When I
type mac32 (or mac24, or startmac) from the console, the disk churns for a
bit, and then I get the unix prompt back. No mac OS, no error messages, no
nothing. Any help would be really apreciated. I have no idea at all what's
going on.

By the way, my system is set up so when it boots you get the console with a
login prompt, instead of the normal login dialog.

Oh, and I'm running A/UX 2.0.1.

Jason Ferrara
tjferrar@mcs.drexel.edu

steveg@melmac.umd.edu (Steve Green) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun29.214946.26498@mcs.drexel.edu> tjferrar@mcs.drexel.edu (Jason Ferrara) writes:
>Help! All of the sudden the Mac environment won't run on my machine. When I
>type mac32 (or mac24, or startmac) from the console, the disk churns for a
>bit, and then I get the unix prompt back. No mac OS, no error messages, no
>nothing. Any help would be really apreciated. I have no idea at all what's
>going on.
>
>By the way, my system is set up so when it boots you get the console with a
>login prompt, instead of the normal login dialog.

That is probably the reason.  Most likely, you dont have proper ownership
of /dev/uinter0 set.  I have the same problem in that I have an X11 login
sequence.  Since I am usually the only person that uses my machine, I have
not bothered to look into the problem more.  I usually just su and change
the ownership back to me and thats all it takes to get it going again.

BTW, gotta love that error message you get. :)

--
Silica gel -- Do not eat.				steveg@melmac.umd.edu

Disclaimer:  If anything I said above is incorrect, never mind.