[net.followup] Wyldeland theory of magic

thain@magic.UUCP (10/07/86)

     (This original appeared in net.games.frp.)

In article <3832@robin.cs.nott.ac.uk>, gas@cs.nott.ac.uk (G Alan Shepherd)
writes:

>      It seems to me that much criticism has been directed at Christians
> concerning the issue of 'wicca' without anyone actually representing the
> Christian viewpoint.

     Actually, the Christian viewpoint on this subject is expressed time and
time again in newspapers, books, movies, even Congress where bills are
introduced by "Christians" to remove the practice of witchcraft and other pagan
beliefs from this country. The cry that is heard is that tired old misquoted
passage, " suffer not to let a witch live among you!"

>      In times past, much 'evil' has been committed in the name of
> Christianity (e.g. witch hunts), but the very valid comment has been made
> that it is unfair to judge a group by the actions of past members or even by
> the present members.

     But in this case some of the present members are actively attempting to
repress another group of people from worshipping as they see fit. As valid as
the comment is, so far as past transgressions are concerned, let us not lose
sight of the fact that the present majority membership *should* be held
accountable for their actions.

> Because of the Christian creed, it makes even less sense to do this with
> Christians.

     Why? Why should I, or any other pagan, give such lattitude which will
not be returned? It is *exactly because* of this creed you speak of that
Christians should be held accountable.

> The whole point of the Christian Gospel is that men are
> imperfect and need the Divine intervention of God in their lives.  This
> doesn't mean that a Christian will be perfect, only that he is forgiven and
> will gradually be made into a more Christlike person.  Of course, as any real
> Christian will know, living in the garage doesn't necesssarily mean that
> you're a car (as the Borgia popes for example might testify to.)

     This is not a reason to allow others to persecute pagans. Especially
Christians who shout that they have nothing against pagans, but allow their
fellow Christians to persue zealously the art of "pagan bashing". ( I put
this in for Ken Anrdt. ;-)

>      Regarding witches,  of course Christians believe that they commit
> sinful deeds (as does everyone, incidentally), but God does, and Christians
> should, still love the people themselves.  Why do you think Jesus died ?  It
> was while we were still sinners that Christ died for us.   However, since God
> has obviously gone to a lot of trouble to forgive us, it would seem pointless
> if there were other ways out and so we have to have an 'intolerant' attitude
> to other religions especially since Jesus Himself said that He is the way and
> that noone goes to the Father except by Him.

     Well spoken.

> This doesn't mean that we should erradicate all non-belivers, but rather try
> to show them the truth of the Bible in as caring as way as possible.  After
> all, the Bible seems to indicate that all non-Christians will go to Hell -
> not because we're exclusive, but because they haven't accepted God's
> forgiveness - and none of us want that, anymore than God does.

     I'd just settle for peace and quiet myself! ;-)  Seriously though, your
comments are well taken. Sometimes it's easier to keep shouting instead of
listening. Both of the respective camps do that from time to time though.

Happy Trails,

Glenn

HASA Tri-Party CoFounder
thain@src.dec.com