UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO
SEMINAR ACTIVITIES

SCIENTIFIC COMPUTATION SEMINAR

                    - Friday, August 25, 1989

Ms. Dimpy Pathria, Computer Science Graduate Student, will speak on
``The Numerical Solution of Nonlinear Schrodinger Equations''.

TIME:               11:00 PM

ROOM:               DC3540

ABSTRACT

Nonlinear Schrodinger equations are encountered in  the
study  of  various  dispersive  wave systems; they have
importance in quantum mechanics,  laser  optics,  fluid
dynamics,  and plasma physics.  In this talk, the first
of two,  we  begin  by  deriving  certain  mathematical
properties  of  such  equations.   These properties are
subsequently used in the design  and  analysis  of  the
numerical  method  of  solution.  For this, a method of
lines  approach  is  adopted,  coupling  pseudospectral
spatial   discretization   with  fractional  step  time
marching.  The impact of the  discretization  upon  the
properties  of  the continuous model provides a measure
of the quality of the approximation.

kmheal@vlsi.waterloo.edu (K. Michael Heal) (08/22/89)

In article <2605@water.waterloo.edu> uthoene@water.waterloo.edu (U.Thoene) writes:
>DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
>UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO
>SEMINAR ACTIVITIES
>
>SCIENTIFIC COMPUTATION SEMINAR
>                    - Friday, August 25, 1989
>Ms. Dimpy Pathria, Computer Science Graduate Student, will speak on
>``The Numerical Solution of Nonlinear Schrodinger Equations''.
>
>TIME:       11:00 PM                ROOM:        DC 3540
              ^^^^^^
         Are you certain?
--
                                 Michael.