[bionet.sci-resources] Of UK interest only"

MJB1%PHX.CAM.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (10/03/88)

Date: Thu 29 Sep 88 17:37:08-GDT
From: "Gary Williams, Computing Services, CRC" <G-WILLIAMS@CRC>
Subject: DES FUNDING FOR MOL. BIOL. SOFTWARE
To: mjb1%uk.ac.cam.bio@JANET
cc: G-WILLIAMS@CRC

 Hallo Martin,

        I seem to remember some time ago you did a survey of who was
        using what molecular biology software. (I may be wrong, it
        could have been Chris Rawlings - but anyway...)

        We would be interested in hearing of the results of any such
        survey because the Inter University Software Committee has
        got some backing from the Dept of Education and Science to
        make a favourable deal for the Universities and Research
        Councils for licensing of any commercial molecular biology
        (gene sequencing, linkage analysis, protein structure prediction,
        crystallography, etc.) software that is deemed to be of
        general usefulness. Such packages would then be required
        to be maintained on a range of machines, as the IUSC has
        required Uniras to do with their graphics package.

        Any information and suggestions for suitably useful packages
        would be gratefully received.

        Gary Williams
        Tel: 01-864-5311 Ext 2160               Janet: g.williams@uk.ac.crc

        Software Services Section