[alt.individualism] Why Try? I don't know why...

karen@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karen Post) (03/09/88)

I've seen quite a few postings in this group about HOW to be an individual
and I have really liked them. I don't have a big philosophy about this
(which is partly why I subscribed, so I could learn a bit about it) but...

I've never activly sought to be different, I just always was. And I like it
that way. But, for me, trying to be different from everyone else seems like
a lost cause. The way I do things is, if I want to do it, I do. Sometimes
it happens to off-beat, sometimes it happens to be quite mainstream. I
don't do something just for the sake of being different, nor I do I AVOID
doing something *because* alot of others do it, too.

This goup is second on my list of favourites (next to rec.music.makers)...I
would like to get some email from a few of you out there, too, to discuss
such matters as mentioned above, as weel as what gets posted.

--
Karen A. Post    Columbus, Ohio  | So, if she floats like a duck...then she
karen@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu     | must be...a WITCH!!! BURN HER!!!!! (Python)

laba-4an@web6e.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (03/10/88)

>The way I do things is, if I want to do it, I do. Sometimes
>it happens to off-beat, sometimes it happens to be quite mainstream. I
>don't do something just for the sake of being different, nor I do I AVOID
>doing something *because* alot of others do it, too.

>Karen A. Post    Columbus, Ohio  | So, if she floats like a duck...then she
>karen@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu     | must be...a WITCH!!! BURN HER!!!!! (Python)

To my mind, this is "true" individuality.  It doesn't mean avoiding the
mainstream (so many "individuals" in my High School avoided the "usual" like
the plague to keep up their rep), it merely means doing what you want to.

--
"Am I supposed to put something here?"

jps@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jeff P Szczerbinski) (03/10/88)

In article <7987@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> karen@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karen Post) writes:

>I've never activly sought to be different, I just always was. And I like it
>that way. But, for me, trying to be different from everyone else seems like
>a lost cause. The way I do things is, if I want to do it, I do. Sometimes
>it happens to off-beat, sometimes it happens to be quite mainstream. I
>don't do something just for the sake of being different, nor I do I AVOID
>doing something *because* alot of others do it, too.

Yes, I agree with Karen somewhat.  I've always been different, different
in the sense that I don't always follow the mainstream.  Yes, everyone is
different, if we weren't life would be boring.  But its all relative, some
are just more different than others.  Possibly its a type of attituide.
Everyone does different things.  There are those that have to put the
effort into being different and there are those that it comes easy to or
yet better phrased they are naturally more inclined to seek out the
avant guarde.

Most of the time I just live life.  If things come out a little strange,
thats fine.  But sometimes you fall into a rut, a rut of normalacy, that
sort of stifles the creative side.  I look back and see what I've been
doing and notice how blah its been; thats when I'll put the effort into
doing some on the offbeat.

I could really go and on and on....bang...damn thing is skipping again.

					Aloha,

						Jeff

Jeff Szczerbinski Univ. of Wisc. - Milwaukee -- Computer Services Division
jps@csd4.milw.wisc.edu                                     +1 414 229 5172
"Anarchy -- Its not the law, its just a good idea!"