[alt.individualism] I am unique

zhang@cs.rochester.edu (Zhang Ju) (03/08/88)

Are individualists connected by a net still individualists?
:-)

ed298-ak@violet.berkeley.edu (Edouard Lagache) (03/08/88)

In article <12468@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> pdm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Fizzing  Human  Bomb!) writes:

>   What purpose does this group serve?
>
>not like anyone else,
>
>paul moore

	So what? How about having some useful
	purpose (like sending me to Hawaii!)

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (03/08/88)

  Oh yeah! Well I'm God. So there.
Pierce "Hi. I'm God. How are You." WEtter

Klein bottle for rent -- inquire within.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

kyl@homxb.UUCP ( ? ) (03/08/88)

In article <12468@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, pdm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Fizzing  Human  Bomb!) writes:

>    What purpose does this group serve?

     To help keep people from becoming indistinguishable from one another.

gdr@pbhya.UUCP (Guy Ridley) (03/08/88)

In article <7474@sol.ARPA>, zhang@cs.rochester.edu (Zhang Ju) writes:

> Are individualists connected by a net still individualists?
> :-)

Good point.  To assert my individualism, I am unsubscribing.  I would suggest
that you all do the same, but that wouldn't be individualistic.

laba-4an@web2d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (03/09/88)

Individualism is a frame of mind.  If we want to be joined to a group, we'll
join a group.  That doesn't make us any less individuals, unless you begin to
identify with yourself as being part of this newsgroup (which would be sort
of scary... alt.individualism T-shirts, etc).

Therein lies the major conflict of individualism...

When you start identifying yourself with individualism, aren't you now a
part of a group?

--
"Man, I want to be an INDIVIDUAL... just like those dudes over there!"

dstalder@gmu90x.UUCP (Darren Stalder) (03/09/88)

As long as our values and desires do not change simply for the fact
that we are part of a group, we are still individualistic.  If on the
other hand, we do something ``just to go along with the guys'' then we
have lost our individuality.

-----
		  Torin/Darren Stalder/Wolf
		Internet: dstalder@gmuvax.gmu.edu
Blessed		Bitnet:	  dstalder@gmuvax
  Be!		ATTnet:   1-703-323-3569
		uucp:	  multiverse!uunet!pyrdc!gmuvax2!dstalder
		Snail:	  PO Box 405/Fairfax, VA 22030/USA

kyl@homxb.UUCP ( ? ) (03/09/88)

In article <10849@pbhya.UUCP>, gdr@pbhya.UUCP (Guy Ridley) writes:
> In article <7474@sol.ARPA>, zhang@cs.rochester.edu (Zhang Ju) writes:
> >
> > Are individualists connected by a net still individualists?
> > :-)
>
> Good point.  To assert my individualism, I am unsubscribing.  I would suggest
> that you all do the same, but that wouldn't be individualistic.

   As long as you do not post the same thing that others post you
   are still an individualists.

kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Ken Wallich) (03/10/88)

>   What purpose does this group serve?

>not like anyone else,
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Me too! :-)

>paul moore

Not paul moore...

gberg@hpindda.HP.COM (Greg Berg) (03/10/88)

> / laba-4an@web2d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) / 10:42 am  Mar  8, 1988 /
> Individualism is a frame of mind.  If we want to be joined to a group, we'll
> join a group.  That doesn't make us any less individuals, unless you begin to
> identify with yourself as being part of this newsgroup (which would be sort
> of scary... alt.individualism T-shirts, etc).
>
> Therein lies the major conflict of individualism...
>
> When you start identifying yourself with individualism, aren't you now a
> part of a group?
>
> --
> "Man, I want to be an INDIVIDUAL... just like those dudes over there!"
----------
Why are all you individuals huddling together in this notes group?
Anyone rightous enough to EARN the label individualist would insist
on forming their own group- allowing noone else to read or post to it ;-)

eh@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Elliot Howard) (03/11/88)

In article <7470002@hpindda.HP.COM> gberg@hpindda.HP.COM (Greg Berg) writes:
>Why are all you individuals huddling together in this notes group?
>Anyone rightous enough to EARN the label individualist would insist
>on forming their own group- allowing noone else to read or post to it ;-)

Wouldn't it be sufficient for me to just start my own group and allow no
one else to post to it? After all, unlike all you sheep out there, I don't
actually READ the stuff I post myself! So I'll allow anyone who wants to
to read my words of wisdumb (sic). Hmm... this does sound like a good
idea... It would certainly do wonders for the quality of the material
posted! "alt.eh". Doesn't that sound like a catchy title? :-) :-) ;-)

laba-4an@web8f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (03/12/88)

>From: gberg@hpindda.HP.COM (Greg Berg)

>> / laba-4an@web2d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) / 10:42 am  Mar  8, 1988 /
>> Individualism is a frame of mind.  If we want to be joined to a group, we'll
>> join a group.  That doesn't make us any less individuals, unless you begin to
>> identify with yourself as being part of this newsgroup (which would be sort
>> of scary... alt.individualism T-shirts, etc).
>>
>> Therein lies the major conflict of individualism...
>>
>> When you start identifying yourself with individualism, aren't you now a
>> part of a group?
>>
>> --
>> "Man, I want to be an INDIVIDUAL... just like those dudes over there!"
>----------
>Why are all you individuals huddling together in this notes group?
>Anyone rightous enough to EARN the label individualist would insist
>on forming their own group- allowing noone else to read or post to it ;-)

A few questions:

	1) What gave you the impression we are "huddling"?  We are discussing
	   things that may be important to us.  We do so because we choose to,
	   not because it is fashionable.  Of course, I can only speak for
	   myself...

	2) rightous (sic)?  You are using the extremist version of
	   "individualist" - one who will have nothing to do with society
	   whatsoever.  I feel that this is incorrect.

	3) Perhaps you feel a need to "EARN" the "label" individualist. I
	   do not.  As I said, individualism is a frame of mind.  It doesn't
	   matter how others label you, it is your own self-image.

	4) If you are so opposed to this group, why did you choose to post
	   a message?  Such behavior is hypocritical at best.

I'm not deeply into "being individual".  I don't claim to be an expert on
the subject (if there is such a thing), and I'm not trying to flame you.
But I think that you have the wrong idea.

--
"Opinions don't reflect, but they sometimes rebound"

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (03/12/88)

In article <7470002@hpindda.HP.COM> gberg@hpindda.HP.COM (Greg Berg) writes:
>> / laba-4an@web2d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) / 10:42 am  Mar  8, 1988 /
>> Individualism is a frame of mind.  If we want to be joined to a group, we'll
>> join a group.  That doesn't make us any less individuals, unless you begin to
>> identify with yourself as being part of this newsgroup (which would be sort
>> of scary... alt.individualism T-shirts, etc).
>>
>> Therein lies the major conflict of individualism...
>>
>> When you start identifying yourself with individualism, aren't you now a
>> part of a group?
>>
>> --
>> "Man, I want to be an INDIVIDUAL... just like those dudes over there!"
>----------
>Why are all you individuals huddling together in this notes group?
>Anyone rightous enough to EARN the label individualist would insist
>on forming their own group- allowing noone else to read or post to it ;-)

Agreeing with someone doesn't automatically make you a "follower".
Agreeing with someone because of who they are rather than what they
say does make you a follower. Those who give orders are leaders.
Followers are sheep. Leaders are megalomaniacs. Kill them all.
Kill lest ye be killled yourselves.
Kill for the love of killing.
KILL FOR KALI!
KALI KALI KALI
--
  		Dave Mack	Keeper of the Eternal FLAME
  McDonnell Douglas-Inco, Inc. 		DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed

dstalder@gmu90x.UUCP (Darren Stalder) (03/23/88)

In article <7470002@hpindda.HP.COM> gberg@hpindda.HP.COM (Greg Berg) writes:
>Why are all you individuals huddling together in this notes group?
>Anyone rightous enough to EARN the label individualist would insist
>on forming their own group- allowing noone else to read or post to it ;-)

This is ludicrous.  Being individualistic does not mean being
anti-social and or being a hermit.  I enjoy groups of people but I
still do my own thing.  Most of the time when I do something, if the
group is doing it also, that is fine.  Sometimes I do what the group
wants and not just what I want due to compromise.  There are many
things that are much more enjoyable with other people than by
yourself.  At times, I do what someone else wants, at other times, I
do what I want.  In this way, my group of friends and I form a more
harmonic whole while each of us is retaining our individuality.

__
                  Torin/Darren Stalder/Wolf
Blessed         Internet: dstalder@gmuvax.gmu.edu
  Be!           Bitnet:   dstalder@gmuvax
                ATTnet:   1-703-323-3569
      Hail      uucp:     multiverse!uunet!pyrdc!gmuvax2!dstalder
        Eris!   Snail:    PO Box 405/Fairfax, VA 22030/USA
DISCLAIMER: I have enough problems getting credit what I do do for
            work, much less this stuff.