[alt.individualism] Individualism.

fmayhar@killer.UUCP (Frank Mayhar) (03/11/88)

In article <1353@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ccs026@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (-=paul=-) writes:
>i'd like to propose that individualism is not
>necessarily related to belonging to groups, but
>is a state of mind.  i consider myself to be
>an individualist because i enjoy doing things
>by and for myself, not to conform to some other
>person's idea of what i should be or do.
>-=paul=-

Hear hear!  However, may I point out that individualism is not necessarily
related to _not_ belonging to groups, as well.  (Maybe that's what you meant.)
I belong to a number of groups, some by choice, some not.  For example, I'm
a member of a group of people that work at our development center, and a more
individualistic group of people is hard to find.  At the same time, we are all
committed to the group itself.  The individualism is in our outlook rather than
in our actions.  That outlook, that we all share to one degree or another, is
that we will be as self-reliant as possible (individually and as a group),
that we will not allow ourselves to be dictated to (many people have left
recently over this very point), and that we will do work that we enjoy, even if
we have to leave the group to do so.

While I share the above traits, my self-concept goes much deeper than that.
It basically boils down to the fact that I do not allow myself to be dictated
to by others, nor do I let my self-image be affected by other peoples opinions.
I'll go further and say that I only let other peoples opinions matter to me when
I (or my conscience) believe they should.  (My wife's opinions mean a great deal
to me.  Your opinions, O anonymous reader, mean very little.  Now if I met you
and got to know and respect you, that might [probably would] change.)  I also
have a very strong belief that the individual is at least as important as any
group, and probably more important.

I could go on for reams, but this seems enough for now.
--
Frank Mayhar        UUCP: ..!{ihnp4,dj3b1}!killer!fmayhar
                    ARPA: Frank-Mayhar%ladc@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (03/12/88)

My first alt.group posting.  Well I'll read this a little while
before unsubscribing.  So are you guys going to rehash or rediscover
all the old arguments by guys like Milton (No man is an island)?
Or Rene Dubois "Identity versus Equality arguments?"  This could be
interesting, or dull.  Wish you guys luck.  Western thinking is
so centered on self, it makes for a brief, but interesting diversion.

Some years after I became interested in environmentalism and ecology,
I discovered historical writings by some great thinkers (1800s-1950s) which
if we had had them in 1970, we could have gone further.  Standing on
colleagues shoulders.  It was depressing.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {uunet,hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (03/16/88)

I don't know about you guys, but I'm just a goddamn number.

2810x5180xds13A26427857134413804637544933728452228373737871154103735774875012.
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (03/25/88)

In article <794@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I don't know about you guys, but I'm just a goddamn number.
>
>2810x5180xds13A26427857134413804637544933728452228373737871154103735774875012.
>--
>-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'

I enjoyed this one.

Well thanks guys, it was interesting reading up to this point.  Time to
flaming.

--566 5950