[alt.individualism] From ATLAS SHRUGGED

wlinden@dasys1.UUCP (William Linden) (03/25/88)

In article <13350002@hpcuhb.HP.COM> rb@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Robert Brooks) writes:

>Please provide a reference for this.  I don't recall reading anything
>about a guard being shot in _Atlas_Shrugged_, and what you are saying
>isn't at all consistent with my understanding of Objectivism.
This is from the last chapter. For context, Dagny and the others are
there to rescue Galt from the minions of Ferris who are torturing him
(and if that ain't initiation of force, I'm a Trot...)
  "But I _can't_ decide! Why me?"
  "Because it's _your_ body that's barring my way."
  "But I can't decide! I'm not _supposed_ to decide!"
  "I'll count to three," she said. "Then I'll shoot."
  "Wait! Wait! I haven't said yes or no!" he cried, cringing tighter
against the door, as if immobility of mind and body were his best
protection.
  "One__" she counted; she could see his eyes staring at her in
terror--"Two--" she could see that the gun held less terror for him
than the alternative she offered___ "Three."
   Calmly and impersonally, she, who would have hesitted to fire at an
animal, pulled the trigger and fired straight at the heart of a man
who had wanted to exist without the responsibility of consciousness."

--
Will Linden                          {sun,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Compuserve  72737,2150                 {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!wlinden

prof@chinet.UUCP (The Professor) (03/30/88)

In article <3551@dasys1.UUCP>, wlinden@dasys1.UUCP (William Linden) writes:
>>Please provide a reference for this.  I don't recall reading anything
>>about a guard being shot in _Atlas_Shrugged_, and what you are saying
>>isn't at all consistent with my understanding of Objectivism.

>   "But I _can't_ decide! Why me?"
>   "Because it's _your_ body that's barring my way."
>   "But I can't decide! I'm not _supposed_ to decide!"
>   "I'll count to three," she said. "Then I'll shoot."
>   "Wait! Wait! I haven't said yes or no!" he cried, cringing tighter
> against the door, as if immobility of mind and body were his best
> protection.
>   "One__" she counted; she could see his eyes staring at her in
> terror--"Two--" she could see that the gun held less terror for him
> than the alternative she offered___ "Three."
>    Calmly and impersonally, she, who would have hesitted to fire at an
> animal, pulled the trigger and fired straight at the heart of a man
> who had wanted to exist without the responsibility of consciousness."

The amazing thing about this episode is that Dagny thinks she is willfully
making a decision here, that for this reason she is better qualified to make
judgments than the guard she brutally murders.  Yet in reality we know she is
no less programmed to make the "decision" she makes, "choosing" to take the
action she takes, than the guard is programmed to behave in the way he behaves.
There are no decisions being made here by rational agents.  There is just one
human being who is caught between a rock and a hard place, and another who
thinks she's better than he is, but who in reality is just as much acting on
a program as the guard she looks down upon.

The further irony is in the veiled contempt she holds for her victim.  Rand
says that "she could see that the gun held less terror for him than the
alternative she offered."  The implication is that this weak empty void of
a man, a man who "wanted to exist without the responsibility of consciousness,"
would prefer that Dagny kill him rather than force him to make a decision.
For finding the act of making a decision difficult, this man is given a
death sentence.  As if THEY had no faults, as if there were no facets of daily
life that THEY find difficult or impossible.

Something "individualists" often forget is that without these other people
they look down upon their lives and the world around them would cease to
function---but to admit this would go against their individualist "ethics."
Some people are simply not movers or shakers or decision makers, some people
are simply not as into "being themselves" (sic) as the so-called individualists
are, and contrary to the tenets of the various individualist philosophies,
THIS IS NOT A CRIME.  But don't tell this to the "individualists," they'll
be sure to let you know how self-sufficient, independent, and individualistic
they really are, and how no one has an "excuse" for not being that way.  (As
if we needed one.)  The way these people talk, you'd think they never made
use of a socially engendered interdependency, they did it all themselves!
Why "compromise" by acceding to social norms, why act reciprocally towards
others when you can simply take without reproach, why pay taxes when you don't
get anything from the government?  (Well, aside from the roads, the sewers,
the education system, etc. what have the Romans ever done for us? :-> )
The next time such people look down their noses at the rest of society, they
should examine some people close to them who share the characteristics of the
folks they look down upon.  Namely the characters in their precious books
like Dagny (and, dare I say it, the precious John Galt), and themselves.
Though I doubt that "discovering" that they are not unlike those they scorn
would diminish their contempt, consistency is not the hobgoblin of the
individualist's little mind.

paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) (03/31/88)

I am probably wrong to bother with this, since "The Professor" does not sound
like a person open to discussion or reasoned argument.  However (sigh),

In article <4327@chinet.UUCP> prof@chinet.UUCP (The Professor) writes:
>Some people are simply not movers or shakers or decision makers, some people
>are simply not as into "being themselves" (sic) as the so-called individual-
>ists are, and contrary to the tenets of the various individualist philoso-
>phies, THIS IS NOT A CRIME.

A straw man, hey, wow.  Um, Objectivism agrees with you here -- it is not a
crime (against others, anyway) to "not move or shake or decide."  However,
when you take an innocent man prisoner and torture him, you are making a
choice, you are moving, you are shaking.  There are consequences to this.
--
Paul A Vixie Esq
paul%vixie@uunet.uu.net